GUI and database connection without using java's api's

Patrick Musembi

May 5, 2017, 6:31:20 AM5/5/17
to ceylon-users
Now am liking the language so much...pleading for a friendly api for GUI and connection to databases. Infact this should be my language...Please Gavin King and your team-mates do something for the provision....

Enrique Zamudio

May 6, 2017, 7:03:36 PM5/6/17
to ceylon-users
Have you tried ceylon.dbc? It's part of the sdk, and it only requires de DataSource/Connection parts of JDBC.

Gavin King

May 6, 2017, 8:16:29 PM5/6/17
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
We also have ceylon.interop.persistence, which makes it easy to use JPA.

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:03 AM, Enrique Zamudio <alte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you tried ceylon.dbc? It's part of the sdk, and it only requires de DataSource/Connection parts of JDBC.
>
> --

Gavin King
ga...@ceylon-lang.org
@1ovthafew

http://ceylon-lang.org
http://hibernate.org
http://seamframework.org

paper1111

May 8, 2017, 9:23:11 AM5/8/17
to ceylon-users
Well as for GUI, there is https://github.com/renatoathaydes/CeylonFX, but the code doesn't even compile!

@gavinking don't worry, I am trying to fix the project :)

Gavin King

May 8, 2017, 10:47:21 AM5/8/17
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
It's *very* old code, I guess.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ceylon-users/498e5a8f-dedd-4836-af1b-cabf9c7ce3a0%40googlegroups.com.
Message has been deleted

Renato Athaydes

May 10, 2017, 3:02:01 AM5/10/17
to ceylon-users
Hi @paper1111. I am the author of the renatoathaydes/CeylonFX project.

As the README of my project said, I was looking for someone to continue with the project after my own interests drifted elsewhere. I also asked anyone interested to please contact me so that we could arrange a proper transfer of the code to a new repository.

I put a reasonable amount of effort in getting that project to where it is now, and @gavinking also contributed to it, so I would expect the commit history to be kept in the new project (or at least some attribution mentioned in the README if that was not at all possible).

However, what you have done so far was to copy the code to a new repository, making silly mistakes along the way like committing class files, without any attribution to the original authors, claimed ownership of an account named CeylonFX which other people might reasonably believe is connected to the Ceylon project itself (from what I know so far, you are not part of the Ceylon team) and just made a pull request to my project, without any explanation, requesting that my README link to your new project.

You don't seem to understand how open source works. You can't do what you did and expect other developers to just go along with it. Besides the value we place on technical contributions, courtesy is a important part of working with others in open source.

Whether or not you have the right to own the CeylonFX account (which I never tried! I was in touch with the Ceylon team the whole time I worked on CeylonFX under my own account, but I would not have suggested moving the project to the CeylonFX account until it was in a usable state and ready for contributions from the community, which my project just wasn't yet), I think is a matter for the Ceylon team and RedHat... But the code that you moved to the CeylonFX project is not yours and you did not ask if you could take it!

To solve this problem, I suggest that you, first of all, make sure that the Ceylon team is happy for you to own this GitHub account at all.

If that's ok with them, I suggest you delete the project history completely and move the original project's commit history and files properly to the new repository. If you don't want to do that, feel free to start from scratch, of course!

Renato Athaydes

On Tuesday, 9 May 2017 16:29:03 UTC+2, paper1111 wrote:
Well yes, its old, but I made the repo now!

paper1111

May 10, 2017, 3:53:13 AM5/10/17
to ceylon-users
Well actually, I think that that definitely was wrong in my point, sorry. Well then I think that I shall create a pull request for the code that I had updated, real sorry on that point. Btw about the "silly changes" - can you tell me about them?

Renato Athaydes

May 10, 2017, 8:54:37 AM5/10/17
to ceylon-users
It is always always wrong to commit build results (as opposed to sources) into source control.

You had added `car` files and `class` files to the repository. Those are "silly" things to do (please don't feel offended, we all do silly things, I've done that too, but now I know it's silly and hope you agree it is what it is).

Does that answer your question?

Renato Athaydes

May 10, 2017, 3:05:27 PM5/10/17
to ceylon-users
FYI the project has been upgraded from Ceylon 1.0 to Ceylon 1.3.2 (quite a few changes happened in Ceylon since then!).

The samples are all working and the project compiles again. See the README for information on running the samples.

Feel free to submit further pull requests adding functionality!

@gavinking if you guys want to move the CeylonFX project to a Ceylon-controlled account, let me know... but I can't promise to continue working on it in the future... hopefully @paper1111 will take that challenge?!

Renato

paper1111

May 10, 2017, 6:58:45 PM5/10/17
to ceylon-users