Future of Ceylon

Dietmar Höhmann

Oct 22, 2019, 11:39:33 AM10/22/19
to ceylon-users
Two years since incubation began, no releases since, almost no announcements/communication since, very few commits - Ceylon is dead, isn't it?

Dietmar Höhmann

Nov 19, 2019, 11:29:25 AM11/19/19
to ceylon-users
So it´s definitely dead. What a pitty

Yannis Irvine

Nov 19, 2019, 4:11:54 PM11/19/19
to ceylon-users
That does indeed seem to be the case.
A darn shame indeed.
I have been doing some coding in Kotlin recently, and I am missing many constructs that made for elegant code in Ceylon.

Rudolf de Grijs

Jul 13, 2020, 1:50:31 PM7/13/20
to ceylon-users
Almost 8 months further..

This is the first time I had a look at Ceylon and it is indeed a shame that this project seems to have come to an end.

Very recently I ran into a problem that I wanted to use a union type and was very surprised to see that it is properly implemented in Ceylon. But I don't dare to use Ceylon at this point.

Wojciech Potiopa

Jul 14, 2020, 4:39:04 PM7/14/20
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Development is now community driven. As it can be seen not many people wanta to invest their time into it.

Dietmar Höhmann

Jul 15, 2020, 3:51:56 AM7/15/20
to ceylon-users
Not really. The project is still in incubation, thus not yet fully handed over to the community. Next to no work has been done since incubation began - there seams to be no interest in really giving this to the community. It would have been more honest to just bury the ceylon project than to start this insincere handover to eclipse.

Am Dienstag, 14. Juli 2020 22:39:04 UTC+2 schrieb Voitech:
Development is now community driven. As it can be seen not many people wanta to invest their time into it.
[...]

Tako Schotanus

Jul 15, 2020, 6:28:11 AM7/15/20
to ceylon-users
Hi. What work would you deem necessary to consider it "fully handed over to the community", Dietmar?

Dietmar Höhmann

Jul 15, 2020, 8:55:16 AM7/15/20
to ceylon-users
Tako, let me describe my perception. Three years ago there was this blog post: https://ceylon-lang.org/blog/2017/08/21/eclipse-ceylon/ It sounded good, taking the next step etc. And it implied Red Hat would further support the project. But instead the code was dumped to Eclipse and developers immediately turned their back on it - this impression had already lead to my initial post almost a year ago. What happened? I assume the ceylon project has been abandoned by Red Hat. They are obviously not using it the state it is in, do they?
I don't have the resources to kick in and help with development. But even if I had I won't get on board. Former developers seam to be unavailable for questions. And I did not find any piece of ramp up documentation for new developers. What modules does the system consist of? How do they work together? Architecture? Philosophy? Some bit of high level description where to find what... All this basic information seams to be scattered over source code, blog posts, issues, fora etc.
I know Tako you did a good job and all this is surely not your fault. But I see ceylon in a deadlock at the moment. Production readiness got lost with the loss of trust and is now far away. Thus there are no users. But who would invest in development other than the (potential) users? And without investment production readiness will never be regained...