Any official word on Java EE support?

Francois Green

Feb 7, 2014, 4:54:09 PM2/7/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I want to try JSF with Ceylon, but the task looks quite daunting when compared to my experiments with Google App Engine.  While searching for clues I've only encountered this project https://github.com/alesj/ceylon-servlet, and it hasn't had any activity in two years.  I also noticed that Ceylon has yet to be even mentioned on the JBoss Developer Studio forum, so no point and click solution for me (^_^).  Is there anything happening on Java EE front from the Red Hat side, such as integration with JBoss products, or is the community expected to fill in here?

Francois Green

Apr 29, 2014, 12:56:02 AM4/29/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
To answer my own question and for anyone still interested, this seems to be the issue to watch:

There is also this project for JBoss:

I'm still plugging away at Google App Engine https://github.com/fwgreen/CeylonServerFaces, but I think #370 might make life much easier so I hope this feature doesn't slip to a later version.

Stephane Epardaud

Apr 29, 2014, 8:54:49 AM4/29/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
To be honest we haven't yet tried to run Ceylon on Java EE aside from simple servlets. If you run into any particular issue, don't hesitate to ask for help.

Stéphane Épardaud

Francois Green

Aug 20, 2014, 7:39:36 PM8/20/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
I've started playing with the Ceylon 1.1.0.v20140819 Dev IDE and I need some guidance.  I would like to know how to use Ceylon with an existing Java EE project in light of the changes brought about by 370.  I had expected being able to "Add Ceylon Nature" to an old project and things would just work (sort of like Scala, Xtend or whatever).

Also, on Google App Engine, using my current methods I still have to copy .class files out of the .exploded directory, but the 'Default Java binary class output folder' is set to ../war/WEB-INF/classes.

Gavin King

Aug 21, 2014, 6:18:50 AM8/21/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Francois Green
<francoi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've started playing with the Ceylon 1.1.0.v20140819 Dev IDE and I need some
> guidance. I would like to know how to use Ceylon with an existing Java EE
> project in light of the changes brought about by 370. I had expected being
> able to "Add Ceylon Nature" to an old project and things would just work
> (sort of like Scala, Xtend or whatever).

No, well it's not quite that straightforward because Ceylon has:

1. a well-defined module system, and
2. a system of reified generics and a metamodel which requires some
initial bootstrapping.

So integration into a foreign module system like Java EE or OSGi or
whatever is a task that involves work. It's not a conceptually
difficult task, but it does need doing.

That might sound like a bit of a disadvantage of Ceylon until you
realize that once we actually sit down and do this work, we can do
lots of potentially very cool stuff by leveraging the information in
the Ceylon module descriptor. (E.g. our compiler now generates .cars
with built-in OSGi and maven metadata with no intervention from the
user.)

Integrating Ceylon in Java EE is very high on our priority list now,
but it's not going to make it into 1.1, because we want to do it
properly and make it awesome.

--
Gavin King
ga...@ceylon-lang.org

Julien Viet

Aug 21, 2014, 6:55:14 AM8/21/14
to Gavin King, ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Hi François,

you can test drive the official Vert.x integration if you like : https://github.com/vietj/mod-lang-ceylon

--
Julien Viet
www.julienviet.com

On 21 Aug 2014 at 12:18:50, Gavin King (gavin...@gmail.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM, Francois Green

Francois Green

Aug 21, 2014, 9:56:28 AM8/21/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update and your efforts Gavin.  I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for further developments on this front.  Julien, thanks for pointing me in the direction of Vertx and for your work in that area.  Having Ceylon support for such a popular platform is a big step towards broader adoption of the language, though I'm holding out for your next iteration of Cayla with the hope of being able to move some of my pet projects from App Engine to OpenShift.  Those of us with only a cursory knowledge of programming need the real developers to create the frameworks for us (^_^).

Ales Justin

Aug 21, 2014, 10:20:04 AM8/21/14
to ceylon...@googlegroups.com

with the hope of being able to move some of my pet projects from App Engine to OpenShift.

Some shameless PR ... ;-)
https://www.openshift.com/quickstarts/capedwarf (although version of CD on OpenShift is pretty old ...)

-Ales

Surbhi Nahta

Jun 21, 2022, 5:52:36 AM6/21/22
to ceylon-users
I am also having the same issue with Java Thread