Need Basics of building the std library

Michael Chermside

Mar 28, 2016, 4:16:44 AM3/28/16
to ceylon-dev
I encountered a bug in the standard library, and tried to fix it. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to build. (I submitted a pull request with the changes ANYWAY, and hopefully it works, but there may be a next time.)

I checked out the code for ceylon-sdk. Then I installed ant and tried executing "ant" in the top level directory. This resulted in the following errors:

  [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource net/sf/antcontrib/antcontrib.properties. It could not be found.
  [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource taskdef.properties. It could not be found.
  [taskdef] Could not load definitions from resource aQute/bnd/ant/taskdef.properties. It could not be found.

I expect this is something quite straightforward, and all I really need to do is to follow the build instructions. But I don't know where to FIND the build instructions. the README.md file sends me to https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-dist#ceylon-distribution which then says that it is deprecated.

Can anyone direct me to instructions on building the standard library?

-- Michael Chermside

Lucas Werkmeister

Mar 28, 2016, 4:19:55 AM3/28/16
to ceylo...@googlegroups.com
You need to have the Ceylon distribution built in the same directory. That is, you should have the repositories https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon and https://github.com/ceylon/ceylon-sdk cloned next to each other, so that the ceylon-sdk build can refer to ../ceylon/...

Tako Schotanus

Mar 28, 2016, 4:37:33 AM3/28/16
to ceylon-dev
Hi Michael,

the README in the SDK was indeed still pointing to the old instructions, I've fixed that. If you update the SDK you'll see the correct URL.

Btw, often it's not actually necessary to have the very latest version of Ceylon installed to compile the SDK.
You'd still have to clone the ceylon-sdk repository but instead of going through all the trouble of compiling the Ceylon distribution you just check out the SDK version you are currently using. So assuming you're running Ceylon version 1.2.2 you'd do `git checkout 1.2.2`.
You'd then follow the build instructions as normal (`ant clean publish`)

HTH

-Tako