Technology Company Tours

Paul ONeill

Sep 21, 2021, 6:01:37 AM9/21/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

We have a team of students here who look after some IT tasks in the school.

We want to reward them for their efforts. We had originally planned organising a trip to Microsoft perhaps or similar.

Does anyone know of any tech companies who offer tours or trips of their facilities? Ideally free of charge and in the Dublin area.

Thanks in advance,

Paul O’Neill

Technology Department | ICT Coordinator

North Wicklow Educate Together Secondary School

Dublin Road, Bray, Co. Wicklow, A98 EF88

Tel: 01 282 9606

www.nwetss.ie

Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert 2021-2022

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. Please consider the environment before printing this email and or any attachments.

hetty c Murphy

Sep 21, 2021, 8:25:44 AM9/21/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Paul, did you try Intel, they used to do tours?  Also, it may be worth contacting it IT Dept in some of the colleges and universities - very interesting too! Kind Regards.

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/DB8PR10MB33547371F6D8E2AACA5D5595D5A19%40DB8PR10MB3354.EURPRD10.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Paul ONeill

Sep 21, 2021, 8:42:09 AM9/21/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks very much for that.

John Heffernan

Sep 23, 2021, 9:54:21 AM9/23/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Paul

When I was in the States, I was involved in https://cvilleinnovation.org/tech-tour/  which organised a student tech tour for the schools in Central Virginia ( which is about the size of Connaught excluding Sligo).
I can't find the list of co-operating companies in my Google Drive just the list of schools but the companies ranged from University of Virginia research labs, software companies like Linden Labs ( Second Life) and Hi tech manufacturing and other more unique companies  including Northrop Gruman maritime research facility and Virginia Dept. of Environment Car Safety building.

I would think that approaching the Chamber of Commerce in some of the cities might be worth pursuing. CBIC was a business network not too dissimilar to the Chambers of Commerce. I think a Chamber of Commerce in a city like Galway could easily organise one.

I have the organising documentation and a couple of contacts  which could be useful if you are looking to get it off the ground.

John

Steve Dahlberg

Sep 23, 2021, 10:17:06 AM9/23/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hello -

I organized an Innovations in Training Dublin event in November 2019 for corporate learning professionals. I suspect several tech companies might be open to what you are talking about, but probably not at the moment with Covid, given that many employees are not back in their workplaces and therefore they are probably not open to having outside visitors yet. But maybe they would host a virtual talk and tour in the meantime?

Two of our hosts were IBM and RCSI's simulation labs. Microsoft has a great edtech space in Dublin, too.

Hope this helps a bit!

Cheers,

Steve Dahlberg
Training Magazine

John Heffernan

Oct 20, 2021, 4:42:09 AM10/20/21
to CESI-list
Thinking about this a bit more. I think there is a great opportunity for a national tech tour with tech companies and Computer Science students.... think Young Scientist of the year but in reverse!!

It could be done over a weekend with a number of tech companies and a few buses

Suggestions?

John