EU Code Week

Pam O Brien

Sep 6, 2021, 7:44:16 AM9/6/21
to CESI-list

Hi all

It’s that time of year again when our thoughts turn to EU Code Week which takes place from the 9th to 24th October. Last year Ireland came in 27th place with 123 activities.  This year Julie Power and I, as Irish CodeWeek ambassadors, would like to see the number of pinned activities increased.  We know many of you will be completing coding activities over the coming weeks.  We would love if you would pin these activities at https://codeweek.eu/events.  Don’t forget that your coding activities can take place outside of the official CodeWeek dates of 9th to 24th October.

For those who may not have activities planned yet we will share some resources over the next few weeks to help you identify suitable activities.  This week we will be looking at resources from the Schools section of the EU Code Week website.  These comprise of short videos outlining the concepts with more detailed lesson plans covering different age groups and activities.  There are lots of resources available so please feel free to look beyond the 3 activities I have identified below.

·         Miles Berry introduces computational thinking  https://codeweek.eu/training/computational-thinking-and-problem-solving

·         Jesús Moreno León outlines how to create educational games with Scratch https://codeweek.eu/training/creating-educational-games-with-scratch

·         Diogo da Silva talks about tinkering and Making with the microbit https://codeweek.eu/training/tinkering-and-making

In addition there is a presentation and toolkit available for teachers to introduce EU Code Week to their students and to award certificates in recognition of engagement with CodeWeek activities.  These can be found under the resources section of the website.

If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to get in touch with either myself or Julie.

Happy coding and don’t forget to pin your activities!

Pam

Michael Flynn (Eriu CC)

Sep 6, 2021, 8:57:49 AM9/6/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Damien,
Any way we could do something small for this coding week?

Kind Regards,

Michael J. Flynn
Principal
Ériu Community College

Mobile 087-7992770

Sep 13, 2021, 6:45:24 AM9/13/21
to CESI-list

Hi all

So, for the second week of sharing resources for EU Code Week we will be looking at projects from the microbit website.  These resources will help you to plan some activities for EU Code Week which takes place from the 9th to 24th October. We would like to improve Ireland’s 27th place on the leader board last year and that’s where you can help us.  We know that lots of you will be completing coding activities over the coming weeks, and we would like you to pin these activities at https://codeweek.eu/events.  Don’t forget that your coding activities can take place outside of the official CodeWeek dates of 9th to 24th October.

There’s a wealth of resources on the microbit website https://microbit.org/ covering a wide range of activities suitable for the beginner or more advanced coder.  There is a nice mix of plugged and unplugged activities. For those getting started with the microbit the Let’s Code page https://microbit.org/code/ and the introduction page https://microbit.org/get-started/first-steps/introduction/ are very good places place to start.  There are also a series of lesson plans and projects with video and step by step instructions.  To help you get started I have chosen 3 activities for this week :

·         Compass
https://microbit.org/projects/make-it-code-it/compass-north/

·         2 player reaction game
https://microbit.org/projects/make-it-code-it/reaction-game/

·         Getting Active including designing and developing a step counter and other related activities https://microbit.org/lessons/getting-active-unit-overview/

If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to get in touch with either myself or Julie.

Happy coding and don’t forget to pin your activities!

Pam

Pam O Brien

Sep 20, 2021, 6:11:41 AM9/20/21
to CESI-list

Hi all

For the third week of sharing resources for EU Code Week we will be looking at projects from the Scratch website.  These resources will help you to plan some activities for EU Code Week which takes place from the 9th to 24th October. Last year Ireland finished in 27th place on the leader board (https://codeweek.eu/scoreboard). So far this year we are in 24th place and that’s where we need your help.  Lots of you will be coding in your classrooms over the coming weeks, and we would like you to pin these activities at https://codeweek.eu/events.  Your coding activities can take place outside of the official CodeWeek dates of 9th to 24th October.

Similar to the websites I have shared over the past 2 weeks there’s a wealth of resources on the Scratch website https://scratch.mit.edu/ .  There is a specific section on the website for educators https://scratch.mit.edu/educators with video tutorials and coding cards. To help you get started I have chosen 3 activities form the tutorials page https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/editor/?tutorial=all for this week :

  • Animate a Name in which you choose sprites to add animations, sounds and colour effects to

  • Make a Chase game in which you create a game with 2 sprites and detect when they collide

  • Pong Game in which you create the classic paddle and ball game

Have a look through the other tutorials and coding cards for other coding ideas for the classroom.  In addition, there are lots of projects shared on the Explore page https://scratch.mit.edu/explore/projects/all/ so have a look there too.  As always if you have any queries please don’t hesitate to get in touch with either myself or Julie.

Happy coding and don’t forget to pin your activities!

Pam

Pam O Brien

Sep 30, 2021, 7:37:52 AM9/30/21
to CESI-list

Hi all

For the fourth week (a little late!) of sharing resources for EU Code Week we will be looking at the Hour of Code website.  These resources will help you to plan some activities for EU Code Week which takes place from the 9th to 24th October. So far this year Ireland is in 27th place on the leader board (equalling our finishing position last year) (https://codeweek.eu/scoreboard). Julie and I would love to see us improving on this position this year, so we need your help.  If you have any coding activities (plugged or unplugged) planned over the next few weeks please pin them to the activities map at  https://codeweek.eu/events.  Your coding activities can take place outside of the official Code Week dates of 9th to 24th October.

Similar to the websites I have shared over the past 3 weeks there’s a wealth of resources on the Hour of Code website https://hourofcode.com/ie. The aim of Hour of Code is to introduce computer science concepts in one hour sessions to encourage more people to engage with computer science.  There is a page on the website which takes you through how to plan your hour of code https://hourofcode.com/ie/how-to.  Hour of Code activities are perfectly suitable for Code Week. To help you get started I have chosen 3 activities for this week :

Have a look through the wealth of resources available at https://hourofcode.com/ie/learn for more coding activities for the classroom. As always if you have any queries please don’t hesitate to get in touch with either myself or Julie.

Happy coding and don’t forget to pin your activities!

Pam

Matthew Hanlon

Oct 1, 2021, 4:11:06 AM10/1/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
These are amazing resources, and, if you have Apple gear in your classroom or school, Apple’s got some new stuff this year for EU Code Week, an Inclusive App Design Activity.

I’ll be running a live workshop in October (the 21st from 1700-1830) with two other amazing educators, and I’ll send out more details when we have them. In the meantime...

During Europe Code Week (9–24 Oct), educators can try a one hour Inclusive App Design Activity from Apple with their students as a way to introduce them to the world of coding and app development. Students will come up with an app idea connected to a topic they care about, then discover how to design with inclusion and accessibility at the centre of their app design. After completing the activity, educators can go further with Apple’s coding resources for educators and students from year 1 to university. Explore the activity

How to participate

1. Share the activity > Encourage teachers to try a one-hour Inclusive App Design Activity with students as a way to introduce them to the world of coding and app development.

2. Organise events > Host virtual or in-person events, and encourage your customers to organise their own community app design activities during Europe Code Week.

3. Spread the word > Raise awareness for the Inclusive App Design Activity through your marketing and social channels. Register your events on the Europe Code Week website [https://codeweek.eu] and share the campaign on Twitter by tagging @AppleEDU and #CodeWeek #EveryoneCanCode.

4. Go further > Explore further coding resources with Everyone Can Code and Develop in Swift.

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Pam O Brien

Oct 5, 2021, 5:34:45 PM10/5/21
to CESI-list
That sounds great Matt,

Thanks for sharing. Make sure to pin your activity to the map at https://codeweek.eu/events when the details are finalised ...

Regards
Pam

Pam O Brien

Oct 7, 2021, 7:37:37 AM10/7/21
to CESI-list

Hi all

For the fifth week of sharing resources for EU Code Week we will be looking at the brand new Code Week Challenges !!  There are 18 in total and you can do as many or as few as you like. For those with a competitive streak you can win some Code Week goodies by sharing the challenge on Instagram, Facebook or Twitter using #CodeWeek and @CodeWeekIRL.  Or could you be the first to get a row or column on the bingo card !  The challenges range in difficulty and durations and to help you get started I have chosen 3 activities for this week:

These resources will help you to plan some activities for EU Code Week which kicks off this Saturday 9th and runs to the 24th of October. So far this year Ireland is in 21st place on the leader board with 55 activities (https://codeweek.eu/scoreboard). Julie and I know that there are lots of coding activities planned for the coming weeks to celebrate Code Week so please remember to pin them to the activities map at  https://codeweek.eu/events.  Your coding activities can take place outside of the official Code Week dates of 9th to 24th October.

As always if you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with either myself or Julie.

Happy coding and don’t forget to pin your activities!

Pam

Pam O Brien

Oct 15, 2021, 3:07:36 AM10/15/21
to CESI-list

Hi all

Now that CodeWeek has finally arrived I am sharing some resources from the PDST Technology in Education Coding for Teachers webpage. This page has a wealth of coding and computational thinking resources suitable for use in the classroom.  You can access the main page here https://bit.ly/3DtyiTD or the relevant subsections below:

For teachers interested in knowing a little bit more about coding and computational thinking, including where it fits within the curriculum.

Shows how you can incorporate coding into the digital learning planning process, with sample standards and statements and planning resources.

Signposting a range of PDST provided and other online and face to face professional development options for teachers.

A curated collection of good practice videos featuring primary schools engaging in coding activities.

Videos and tutorials, as well as coding apps and software for students to engage with.

How to get involved in EU Code week and other coding initiatives.

By now I’m sure you all know the drill about pinning activities to the EU CodeWeek map 😊.  So far this year Ireland is in 23rd place on the leader board with 74 activities (https://codeweek.eu/scoreboard).  Julie and I really appreciate you pinning your activities to the map and would love you to continue to pin the many coding activities you have planned over the coming weeks at  https://codeweek.eu/events.  Just a reminder that your coding activities can take place outside of the official Code Week dates of 9th to 24th October.