Using Chromebooks with Jolly phonics and bru na cainte

Joe Halpin

Sep 9, 2022, 4:04:50 PM9/9/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Have any schools run Bru na Cainte and/or Jolly Phonics off the teachers Chromebooks?

Does it work or are there any issues?

If no issues can I ask what spec Chromebook are you using.

TIA.

Joe Halpin

Simon Lewis

Sep 11, 2022, 9:41:23 AM9/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe

Jolly Phonics have (finally) released their software as a web application. It's probably a decade overdue especially as Jolly Phonics is beginning to become fairly outdated but it is good news for those of us without CD/DVD drives. I can't help you with Bua na Cainte but I'm surprised it's only on CD, perhaps the publisher will have a solution.

Regards

Simon

Simon Lewis
🎙 Podcast: http://www.anseo.net
🐦 Twitter: @simonmlewis
🧡 Mash.ie - https://www.mash.ie

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/000401d8c487%240a3a94b0%241eafbe10%24%40comdex.ie.

Anne White

Sep 11, 2022, 10:54:00 AM9/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
It doesn’t work on chromebooks as it’s flash
Anne

Sent from my iPhone

anne gillespie

Sep 11, 2022, 11:07:20 AM9/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Just had same issue with jolly phonics - I got an email from abc book supplies last week about jolly classroom which a digital platform for the teaching of jolly phonics - it’s a yearly subscription at a cost of €356 !! There is a free 30 day trial if you contact your local supplier ( try and book supplies… it’s based in Fonegal .
Anne

Sep 11, 2022, 11:07:58 AM9/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
You can actually download Bua online to laptops but it’s flash based so won’t work on chromebooks as far as I’m aware as it’s flash based

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Sep 2022, at 15:54, 'Anne White' via CESI-list <cesi...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi,

Chris Reina

Sep 11, 2022, 11:34:06 AM9/11/22
to 'Anne White' via CESI-list

Hi all...

I haven't checked... but if either Bua or Jolly Phonics is Flash-based... well - they're not worth using.

Flash is gone.

Adobe announced it's End of Life in 2017.

They stopped supporting it in 2020.

They blocked content from running in Flash Player in 2021.

All major browsers have stopped Flash from running.

Jolly Phonics runs on their own proprietary players (via the Glassboxx app) (which need to be purchased) or are available from the Apple or Google Play stores. It is not web-based.

Bua na Cainte is managed by EDCO and runs on only Windows/Mac devices and again is not web-based.

This leaves Chromebooks / iPads / mobile devices out of both pieces of software unfortunately.

I suggest a strongly-worded email to both Jolly Phonics and Edco - given the proliferation of both Chromebooks / iPads / mobile devices... it's a bit silly.

I would be 100% sure it is due to licensing issues. (ie: I purchase a license and share amongst my colleagues)

Cheers!

Chris

Simon Lewis

Sep 11, 2022, 11:50:00 AM9/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris

Jolly Phonics just went web-based a couple of weeks ago - https://www.jollylearning.co.uk/introducing-jolly-classroom/

Simon
Simon Lewis
🎙 Podcast: http://www.anseo.net
🐦 Twitter: @simonmlewis
🧡 Mash.ie - https://www.mash.ie

Joe Halpin

Sep 11, 2022, 1:28:35 PM9/11/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for feedback everybody.

Kindest regards

Joe Halpin

Comdex Technology

Oldtown

Johnstown

Navan

Co. Meath

C15CY68

Phone 046 9077086

Email  jha...@comdex.ie

Thank you for supporting local Irish jobs