Removing the PDST block.

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 7, 2014, 6:53:32 AM9/7/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Removing the PDST block.

I don’t know if this was put up on the CESI list but here goes, some of you may have realised that the internet provided by the school broadband system has been …….well ……acting up, I first discovered the issue when I typed PDST into Google and noticed the content was blocked.

Here are some steps that might help.

Step 1) Read the notice

Step2) click on the click ‘click here’ link

You’ll be directed to the browser settings page.

Step3) depending on the browser you’re in look for:

·         Click here to Filter explicit content or  enable strict filtering

Different browsers have different settings pages.

They’re basically asking you to enable safe search.

Step4) Click Save.

WAIT……………………….. That’s not all.

If you use YouTube links from an external link like favourites OR an external site that’s not YouTube then you’ll notice the PDST link again but this time when you click the ‘click here’ link you’ll be directed to the YouTube home page. To stop this happening follows these steps:

Step1) On the YouTube home page scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Step2) On the Settings tab of the page, click ‘Safety off’ (it’s defaulted to off)

Step3) Make sure the link says ‘Safety ON’

Once this is done you shouldn’t have any other PDST block issues .

WAIT …………………………………………… there’s a bit more………………………………….

If you’re using two browsers then you’ll have to make sure your setting are adjusted on all of there, YouTube on the other hand in an online adjustment so you’ll only have to do it once.

Finally, I’d imagine this is going to be an ongoing issue, I shouldn’t say issue, this is just a safety precaution, anyway this is going to happen on each New PC you introduce to your domain so please feel free to:

1)      Adjust grammar

2)      Fix spelling

& I don’t say this lightly BUT

3)      Print this out and put it up in your staffroom with a simple tag line….. NO! the internet is NOT broken OR down and the network is just fine J ( maybe not )

Mary Linehan, IT Co-Ordinator

Sep 7, 2014, 3:51:36 PM9/7/14
to Cesi
Thanks Hassan … I’ll try that - anything has to be an improvement

That PDST block is just a pain!!!
The other day I was googling something (forget what now) and it kept coming up with youtube is blocked - my search had nothing whatsoever to do with youtube!!
don’t know why I kept getting that message …. NIGHTMARE!

Kind Regards

Mary Linehan,
IT Co-Ordinator

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cesi-list.

Nicola O'Lone

Sep 8, 2014, 7:09:40 AM9/8/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Thanks for the useful info. A colleague has been having difficulty getting this to work and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas about how to address it. Each time she tries to play a video on YouTube the PDST message comes up but when she clicks to change her settings it brings her back to YouTube and the cycle begins again. I tried a few things but couldn't identify the problem. This is on internet explorer and I thought I'd try a different browser but as neither of us is an administrator on the computer in question I can't download another browser. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Regards
Nicola

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 8, 2014, 7:27:19 AM9/8/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Scroll down to the bottom of the YouTube page and click safe search, I think a clipped on an image.

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716
> --
> --
> Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Nicola O'Lone

Sep 8, 2014, 8:13:49 AM9/8/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that. I turned on safety mode as suggested but unfortunately it's still on working. The video opens and then when I click play it shows a loading icon indefinitely. I think this may be one for our tech support people. Appreciate the help all the same.

Regards
Nicola

Sent from my iPhone
> You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 8, 2014, 9:08:53 AM9/8/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I'm imagine there's more then on browser pulling permissions from the PDST block.  Sorry I couldn't help, I can tell you that it should be a quick fix.

Brian Henry

Sep 9, 2014, 7:25:18 AM9/9/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I was having the loading icon problem at home with UPC broadband last night (an issue they've acknowledged, maybe fixed) but have no trouble watching YouTube in school with Digiweb broadband.

Here's a print-out I made for our staff with screenshots of the settings. Might be handy for anyone who wants to customise it for their own school.

G P Ashe

Sep 9, 2014, 9:57:43 AM9/9/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian - I was about to create just such a document!

-- gpa

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 9, 2014, 10:13:29 AM9/9/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Good document

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716
To post to this group, send email to cesi...@googlegroups.com.

Niall Cunningham

Sep 9, 2014, 10:32:37 AM9/9/14
to cesi
Thanks for all the help. This info seems to sort out most of the problems in our school, however one of our  teachers had a problem playing a youtube video on the great depression and also the massacre in My Lai.  Any ideas? In the old days we could send a particular website to NCTE and they could let it through!

Tom Lonergan (PDST)

Sep 9, 2014, 11:00:36 AM9/9/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Niall, the content filtering link is:

http://www.pdsttechnologyineducation.ie/en/Technology/Schools-Broadband/Content-Filtering/

The specific link to check a website category or suggest a different category is:

http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php

Best Regards

Tom Lonergan

PDST Technology in Education

www.pdsttechnologyineducation.ie

Niall Cunningham

Sep 9, 2014, 1:12:17 PM9/9/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom.

Power

Sep 12, 2014, 5:55:53 PM9/12/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Have noticed that a good many innocuous videos fall foul of YouTube safe search. Videos that have absolutely no objectionable content, I guess the uploader or some such may have inadvertantly turned this on or left out on.

Also had an instance where safe search was on, saved and the block page was showing after browser refresh or restart.

I do not see the value in enforcing safe search on YouTube at second level. It serves to block legitimate sites. Even the worst content on YouTube is not so bad for kids of 12+ in the controlled environs of school.

Hassan Dabbagh

Sep 13, 2014, 5:00:43 AM9/13/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I know exactly what you're saying but I feel safe search is good, I had a teacher use a YouTube video before the safe search roll out which had no bad content what so ever now it's blocked, she explained to me that she uses this video every year so I suggested using a downloader and store it on the HDD as a resource "that way you'll always have it"
I know it's not ideal but filtering is a good thing, I know in my heart and soul that Me or you would wouldn't find offensive material but you can be sure the student will :)
Anyway that's my 3cents I'd love to know what other thought.

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716

Nigel Lane

Sep 13, 2014, 5:48:15 AM9/13/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Anyone know why YouTube would have become available in a school where it was previously blocked? No application was made to change the school's filtering level.

gemma smyth

Sep 20, 2014, 1:21:40 PM9/20/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nicola,

As an administrator I have downloaded Google Chrome on all the computers and laptops. When the PDST block appears you just click on the link, tick the box for filter explicit results and save. This box may have to be ticked each time the computer is restarted but you don't need administrator rights for this. There may be a much simpler way but this is what has worked for me so far.  Hope this helps,
Gemma