HDip in Science in Computing for Educators

gary.cullen

May 30, 2023, 7:26:46 AM5/30/23
to CESI-list
Hi All,

Please find attached this year’s brochure for the HDip in Science in Computing for Educators programme at ATU.

This unique programme allows educators to engage with material that will provide them with confidence and technical skills to deliver ICT in schools for the 21st Century. The certificates have been carefully crafted to ensure that educators will be given opportunity to gain proficiency and to derive tangible elements for their own classrooms.

Each certificate is worth 10 ECT credits and is at level 8 at a costs of only €
200 per module/certificate. Educators can take as many or as few of the certificates as they wish but completing 6 certificates will enable the participant to convert their 60 credits into a Higher Diploma in Computing for Educators.

Teachers who have completed this programme have gone on to become accredited to teach Leaving Certificate Computer Science by the Teaching Council of Ireland.

Dr Gary Cullen
Programme Coordinator

ATU_HDip in Science in Computing for Educators (1).pdf

Fiona Dunlea

May 30, 2023, 10:34:55 AM5/30/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
This sounds great Gary thanks.

May I ask for some guidance please from those of you who are certified by the Teaching council to teach CS?

I'm finding the entire process extremely frustrating and can see why it would put Teachers off registering for the subject.
They are making me jump through hoops and back again despite having a BA in Computers and Maths, HDip in ED plus a 30 year career in IT.
I was approved initially for Maths and CS but then my registration was reviewed and additional info on CS Module Descriptors from UCC were requested which I supplied.

But now they want my qualifications assessed by their Independent advisors costing €100 to look at my qualifications and say yeigh or neigh!!

I spoke to PDST CS and there's clearly a disconnect with the entire process cause they were baffled by the TC's stance.

I understand I don't have to be registered to teach CS but I want my qualifications and experience recognised, surely my profile matches what a qualified CS teacher would look like?

🙄😡

I'm currently interviewing for Maths & CS teaching roles so want to be registered.

Thanks in advance,
Fiona

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/30e6e040-9657-40a2-b8cc-c00825a51238n%40googlegroups.com.

James O'Sullivan

May 30, 2023, 2:13:28 PM5/30/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fiona

My primary degree is from 1996 and I had issues also, and assessment costs were mentioned by the TC, but the CS part was eventually given the green light (required physical visits to the university to get descriptor info - module names had changed twice since then, and the old ones weren't available electronically )

I got stuck on the maths side, as mine wasn't a joint degree in CS and Maths, but a BSc in Computer Systems.  I did a lot of Maths in that 4 year course, but not enough for the TC in terms of (1) credits and (2) content (multivariable calculus).
I had to take some additional maths modules if I wanted to register for Maths as well.  You may have the opposite problem where you don't have enough CS content - if you are out of undergrad even longer than I am then there may be a legitimate content gap there?.    I have done other postgrad quals in AI/automation/etc while working in IT sector over the last ~27 years so I would have got credit for those....

Regards,

Fiona Dunlea

May 30, 2023, 2:36:25 PM5/30/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
James thanks so much for this info, I graduated round the same time as you and my hunch is they never even looked at the CS module descriptors I sent through……..they may not even have the resources in the council to validate CS as it’s so new thus the mention of an external assessor.

I’m gonna stand my ground and go at them again tomm as I genuinely can’t afford the €100 right now as currently interviewing for Teaching roles…..plus it’s a bug bear now 😜

Mairead Manifold

May 30, 2023, 3:58:34 PM5/30/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi James (Sullivan),

That's really useful info. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mairead

JP Smith

May 31, 2023, 3:56:09 AM5/31/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Any developments on what how we can return digital state exam scripts to the SEC ?

We have about 150 digital scripts (Dictation and Word Processing) to be returned.

Can we email the files or do we still have to go separately on DVD or pen drive ?

Any advice or tips/tricks welcome.

Regards
JP

Greg Ashe

May 31, 2023, 4:08:11 AM5/31/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Word Processed exams must be printed and the hard copy returned with the appropriate cover sheet filled in by candidate. The soft-copy is retained in the school (one usb per candidate).

Not sure about dictation (yet).

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.

NB Disclaimer Important: ​
Information in this email (including attachments) is confidential. It is intended for receipt and consideration only by the intended recipient. If you are not an addressee or intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, publication or copying of information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. Opinions expressed in this email may be personal to the author and are not necessarily the opinions of Glenstal Abbey. If this email has been received by you in error we would be grateful if you could immediately notify the sender, and thereafter delete this e-mail from your system.  You are requested to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The author and Glenstal Abbey accept no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses, malware or malicious software.
​

CHY: 4001 I Charity Reg No: 20005283

Please consider the environment before printing this email.​

Tom Kendall

May 31, 2023, 5:12:46 AM5/31/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Greg. In relation to one USB per candidate, does that mean a single USB memory stick for storing all of a given candidate's wordproccessed exams?  As in, a single candidate's memory stick might hold soft-copies of her English, History, Geography and Economics exams, instead of the school having to keep four different memory sticks for that candidate with one subject exam on each stick.

Regards,
Tom

Greg Ashe

May 31, 2023, 6:11:50 AM5/31/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Yep - that is what we did last year. Same candidate uses same laptop for exams and same USB - end of each exam copy the saved file from laptop to USB. Store USB securely.

The printed version is what matters - it is overkill really storing the soft copy. I am not sure under what circumstances they would need it.

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

Tom Kendall

May 31, 2023, 9:26:27 AM5/31/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks for that clarification Greg. Very much appreciated.

Regards,
Tom