Chromebooks

Jason Keelan

Sep 16, 2021, 12:36:49 PM9/16/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone. We're just about to buy our first set of Chromebooks and although we're getting great help in setting them up, I'm just wondering (as the GSuite admin) what settings would be best to look out for? Is having a unique school email for login for every pupil beneficial or what practice works best for people? Are there any places/websites/databases that outline Google Play apps which are useful for different activities? Anything else people would recommend early doors for getting us up and running?

Thanks a million

Jason

Loaf of Bread GAA podcast - Slicing Into The GAA!

 Spotify   Instagram  YouTube     Apple Pod   Twitter   TikTok  loafofb...@gmail.com   PocketCasts    Anchor

Greg Ashe

Sep 17, 2021, 4:37:20 AM9/17/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
If you need students to do their own stuff (in Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc) and save this then you will need a Workspace account for each student.
If students are just using for browsing, watching YouTube then a generic shared account is fine

Primary or secondary?

There are a lot of settings that can be applied under the devices section of Worskpace Admin - I suggest you initially get whoever is setting them up to apply best practice.

Make sure you set up appropriate Org Units for your devices so that settings can be applied in a granular fashion.

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CANPYKf2XvBB3DafqoWPoDiHDDi-1MDPkszKOEBVwAEWBmuLP8Q%40mail.gmail.com.

NB Disclaimer Important: ​
Information in this email (including attachments) is confidential. It is intended for receipt and consideration only by the intended recipient. If you are not an addressee or intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, publication or copying of information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. Opinions expressed in this email may be personal to the author and are not necessarily the opinions of Glenstal Abbey or Glenstal Abbey School. If this email has been received by you in error we would be grateful if you could immediately notify the sender, and thereafter delete this e-mail from your system.

You are requested to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The author, as well as Glenstal Abbey and Glenstal Abbey School, accept no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses, malware or malicious software.

Glenstal Abbey is a Registered Charity CHY 4001
Glenstal Abbey School is a Registered Charity CHY 21385

Please consider the environment before printing this email.​

Paul de Lacy

Sep 17, 2021, 4:48:20 AM9/17/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jason,

Speaking from a primary perspective:

We have given each pupil from 3rd - 6th class their own @xschooldomain.ie workspace account.
They are structured yearofgraduation...@xschooldomain.ie e.g. 22johnmurphy@
Each class group has their own Organisational Unit.  We have two main OUs Staff and Students and sub OUs for each class.
Gmail is turned off for all members of the Student OUs

As a result, no matter what chromebook the pupil accesses their work previous work is available to them and teachers can also use Google Classroom to assign work, allowing it to be returned to the teacher for correction.

Camara are a good source of (paid) support & training for Irish schools using Google Workspace

Our pupils have expressed a preference to use Chromebooks over iPads in situations that require typing etc.

All the best

Paul

--
Paul de Lacy
Special Education Teacher

jim....@adamstowncc.ie

Sep 17, 2021, 5:06:42 AM9/17/21
to CESI-list
If your school is a google school I would advise getting Enterprise licences which will allow you to control and protect the Chromebooks as well as giving you the ability to push out specific apps and extensions to all users. There is a cost but it is not massively expensive. It will also allow you to lock the devices and if one goes missing to locate it through google maps (Similar to find my device with phones)

If you go down the route of having students log in with their own details then there is also an option to remove all data relating to that user when they log off to make it easier to manage them as well.

If you do go down this route I am happy to talk you through what we did in my school.

Regards

Jim Finn
Adamstown Community College