AEN use of Voice to Text, Text to Voice(Speak)

Peter Barry

Mar 28, 2023, 7:45:33 AM3/28/23
to CESI-list
Hi ,
We are Gsuite school and some of our students use Voice to text Text to Speak in google docs.
Leaving cert exam environment, as I understand it, require WIFI/Network off and use of Microsoft Word for return of any typed documents.
Can I ask what schools use to facilitate Voice to Text and Text to Speak in a Microsoft Word Client Environment.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Regards
Peter Barry
St Josephs College Lucan

Pauric O'Donnell

Mar 29, 2023, 3:31:26 AM3/29/23
to CESI-list
Hi Peter,
I'm not sure about Voice to Text but we are planing on using a simple offline text editor on our Chromebooks for the special centre word processing, we used it for the mocks and it worked well and didn't require any internet. Is it a requirement that Word is used?

Thanks,

Carol Regan

Mar 29, 2023, 5:37:41 AM3/29/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

The accommodation from RACE, reasonable accommodations in certificate exams ( State Examinations Commission), states ‘word processor’, it doesn’t specify a particular technology. We have used Microsoft Word, with internet disabled. Depending on the category you apply under, you may need to also disable the spell check.

For speech to text, it states ‘recording device’. We have used Dragon Speech Recognition Software, from Nuance. It’s expensive software, however our student qualified for funding from the NCSE funding scheme, you apply through your SENO( Special Education Needs Organisers).

Thanks
Carol

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/d8f09fa5-c42d-4ff4-ba25-3d112df03952n%40googlegroups.com.

Trevor Bo

Mar 30, 2023, 5:47:12 PM3/30/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hey there

For text to speech there are 2 commonly used:
Claro read
Text help read and write

Unfortunately  texthelp recently Quired Clroread so interesting to see what becomes of Claro.

Text help read and wite may still have a 30 day free trial though

For speech to text Dragon is commonly used for exams.

Thomas.OShaughnessy

Apr 4, 2023, 3:54:08 AM4/4/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peter

I agree with what Carol said, Dragon would be the ideal solution for this (however, it is expensive as she noted). It does not require internet access and works with most applications including Word.

We are in a similar position here (granted we’re higher ed) and our students normally use Dragon with WordPad in exams (due to Word 365 inbuilt features that may provide an advantage).

Happy to talk more offline if required.

Kind Regards,

Thomas O'Shaughnessy

thomas.os...@ul.ie

Tel:        (061) 21 3373

www.ul.ie/EATC

University of Limerick, Limerick, V94 T9PX, Ireland

Ollscoil Luimnigh, V94 T9PX, Éire

UL Brand Logo of stag and a castle and text with university name in Irish and English

Fáilte romhat do ghnó a dhéanamh tri Ghaeilge liom.

Your opinion matters to us

Click here to provide feedback to Student Affairs

EXTERNAL EMAIL: This email originated from outside of the University of Limerick. Do not click on links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender's email address and know the content is safe.