Fire Awareness Coding Challenge - Deadline extended!!1

Darren at Code Club

Nov 17, 2021, 7:59:00 AM11/17/21
to CESI-list, ces...@googlegroups.com

I wanted to drop out a brief reminder of the Scratch Coding Challenge we are currently running open to all Irish schools and tell you that we have extended the closing date to November 26th.

Ways to get involved

Naturally, things are still very different this year, and many clubs are running their sessions online or sending activities remotely. If you're wondering whether the young people at your club can still participate, the answer is yes, absolutely - regardless of what stage you and your club are at, your young people can take part. You may like to host a special online session to support them to create something or send this email to parents so that they can get started on their ideas at home. Even if your club has been paused, this is a great opportunity to reach out and see how they are getting on. There are lots of ways to get involved.

What is the Code Club Fire Safety Challenge?

Young people from Code Clubs across Ireland are invited to create a project related to fire safety, and if possible, include the colour red.

They will work on the project individually, and entries will fall into two age categories, 8-11 and 12-17 year-olds. Their project should include suggested themes of smoke detectors, electronics safety (e.g. chargers), candle safety, closing doors at night, having an escape plan, and the number to call in an emergency!

Their entry will be reviewed to recognise:

  • The creativity or originality of the project idea
  • The use of code and its complexity
  • How well they present or describe the project in the submission
  • How well the project fits into the theme

Young people can create their projects using Scratch. Projects don't need to be 100% finished to submit.

Prizes

And did we mention that young coders will have the opportunity to win some extremely cool tech goodies, kindly sponsored by the Dublin Fire Brigade?

In each age category, the prize will be:

  • First: Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer kit and monitor
  • Second: Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer kit and monitor
  • Third: Raspberry Pi 400 Personal Computer kit

In addition to the individual prizes, the first place winners' club in each age category will receive a set of 10 micro:bits for more coding fun!

Coder Dojo FF leaning on Sign White Background.png

We look forward to seeing your fiery creations. You can submit your completed projects for judging via HERE

Kind Regards
Darren Bayliss
Programme Coordinator - Ireland
Code Club / CoderDojo

Raspberry Pi Foundation

UK registered charity 1129409

*NEW* Want to Chat? *NEW*
Got a question about setting up/running a Code Club then feel free to book a friendly call.  (max 15 mins)

Got a query? Try our Knowledge Base
Follow me on Twitter
Find out who else is going and join the conversation on Facebook.