Eportal

Peter Lydon

Apr 2, 2014, 3:54:22 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
HI all,

I think I know the answer to this but I said I would ask; Does anyone know what level a school has to be on to access ePortal through the NCTE connection (wireless)?

Peter

John Hegarty

Apr 2, 2014, 3:17:31 AM4/2/14
to cesi-list

My understanding is that as ePortal is hosted inside the school on a school server it isn't a filtering issue. To access ePortal from outside the school you need to get a port open on the firewall that resudes on the schools network. If you contact the Helpdesk here http://www.pdsttechnologyineducation.ie/en/Technology/Schools-Broadband/Broadband-Service-Desk/ they will do that for you.

jh

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/cesi-list.

Peter Lydon

Apr 2, 2014, 4:30:13 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John,
Peter

John Hegarty

Apr 2, 2014, 3:38:32 AM4/2/14
to cesi-list
Just checked something I got a while ago and they will open the following ports if you call the helpdesk;
  • Web server 80, 443
  • Email server 25
  • ePortal server 8080, 9090, 8443
  • CCTV 15000 - 15010
jh

Greg Ashe

Apr 2, 2014, 3:47:39 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Presumably they will open secure ports for mail servers also eg 995/465/993 as well as POP 110, IMAP 143 on request

-- gpa

--
Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

John Hegarty

Apr 2, 2014, 3:55:34 AM4/2/14
to cesi-list
I believe you need to fill in a form, signed by the school principal, to request other ports. The help desk will email you the form.

jh

Hassan Dabbagh

Apr 2, 2014, 4:00:40 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
I was just following that thread with great interest but why are all these ports being opened. I have a few laptops on the wireless network who have access to eportal but I didn't need to open ports????

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716

John Hegarty

Apr 2, 2014, 4:05:22 AM4/2/14
to cesi-list
The ports need to be opened for access to ePortal from outside the school. Access for teachers filling in reports from home or for parents to access them.

jh

Hassan Dabbagh

Apr 2, 2014, 4:26:47 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Ok....... I've done that and put a link on the website.  Thought I was missing something.

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716

peter...@iol.ie

Apr 2, 2014, 7:22:58 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the info below.
To clarify - I'm in the school, on the NCTE BB wirelessly and can't access
ePortal.
Hassan said I don't need ports opened; I suspect there must be a port
closed somewhere. Is this correct?

Many thanks again,

Peter

Original email:
-----------------
From: Hassan Dabbagh hassan...@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 09:26:47 +0100
To: cesi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [CESI List] Eportal
mail2web.com - Microsoft Exchange solutions from a leading provider -

G P Ashe

Apr 2, 2014, 7:35:21 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
What IP does your laptop have?

What IP does the ePortal server have?

Can you ping the ePortal server from your laptop

A lot depends on how ePortal is set up and how your DHCP and DNS is handled.

-- gpa

Hassan Dabbagh

Apr 2, 2014, 8:19:17 AM4/2/14
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Jh was right..... When I get teachers to access eportal I use the link to our website which requires an open port.

Hassan Dabbagh
087 9044716

G P Ashe

Apr 2, 2014, 8:20:58 AM4/2/14