Back up of Shared Google Drives

Anne Gilleran

May 6, 2022, 3:53:22 AM5/6/22
to cesi-list
Morning everyone,
Quick Q hopefully you can help with.
I was just wondering if there is any way of automatically backing up Shared Department Google Drives?
I know the option of installing Google Drive on your laptop is there and creating backups that way. However, teachers have limited storage on their devices so this is not a runner.
I was going to suggest one person from each department back-up to an external drive. Is there any other possible solution? Can we link the shared drives to a server in the school and automatically back those up, for example, maybe creating a user on that server that has access to the shared drives and installing google drive there, doing backups?
Hopefully, I am making sense?

Thanks,
Anne

Greg Ashe

May 6, 2022, 4:30:06 AM5/6/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
There are some free options - if you purchase a Synology NAS then it can be configured to back up selected accounts/drives from Google Workspace.
It can be a modest NAS system - something like https://www.senetic.ie/product-ds220/

Gregory Ashe
IT Manager

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CANBn34Sobn6%3DjrCLY0qaPj%3DRs-UAyrD%2BbvK0iA1qX1hM1%2Bi%2BRA%40mail.gmail.com.

NB Disclaimer Important: ​
Information in this email (including attachments) is confidential. It is intended for receipt and consideration only by the intended recipient. If you are not an addressee or intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, disclosure, publication or copying of information contained in this email is strictly prohibited. Opinions expressed in this email may be personal to the author and are not necessarily the opinions of Glenstal Abbey. If this email has been received by you in error we would be grateful if you could immediately notify the sender, and thereafter delete this e-mail from your system.  You are requested to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. The author and Glenstal Abbey accept no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses, malware or malicious software.
​

CHY: 4001 I Charity Reg No: 20005283

Please consider the environment before printing this email.​