Hi. Are ChromeBooks suitable for LC Computer Science? And other questions....

Ms O'Grady

Sep 18, 2021, 9:07:53 AM9/18/21
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hello

I hope you are enjoying this lovely Saturday weather.

I have a few questions about LC Computer Science that I hope you can help me with.
  • Are ChromeBooks suitable for students to use for LC Computer Science?
  • What other accessories are needed. For example: Micro:Bits, etc
  • Do you have any hints or tips about the hardware or software requirements for starting up LC Computer Science as a subject?
Thank you in advance for your help

--
Eadaoin O'Grady
Assistant Principal

istone

Sep 19, 2021, 5:59:15 AM9/19/21
to CESI-list
Hi Eadaoin,

I'm not an expert here but I would say not. We use windows laptops. We use a programme called Thonny for python and I don't think this can be used on a chromebook but as I've said others can advise better.

I would be really interested to see what others say re accessories. This is my second year to teach CS (my 5th years are now in 6th). I had same questions last year when I was preparing for the project work. I found it very frustrating having to source everything myself, investigating where to purchase etc. I had emailed the Department at the time to ask was there a "recommended list" and never heard back.. although someone said they would get back to me but then the second lockdown happened.. In other practical subjects (e.g. Home Economics and Engineering) i believe they get a list and recommended suppliers etc. Would really like to see what others views are on this here?

Anyway, to answer your question I would say:
Laptops/ windows desktop computers
Set of microbits
Collection of sensors and basic electronic kits to use with microbits. There are some Irish suppliers of these products but I have found them to be more expensive than sourcing elsewhere.. of course with Brexit now there's the whole issue of import duties and customs charges etc.

Hope that helps somewhat. Happy to answer any other questions if you want to send me a direct email.
Regards
Irene

John Hegarty

Sep 19, 2021, 3:44:38 PM9/19/21
to cesi-list
+1 on micro:bits, great for all ages and levels

I agree with Irene that Chromebooks wouldn't be my device of choice for Leaving Cert. Computer Science students. I love them myself and am writing this email on my Chromebook. You can run Linux applications and Thonny will run fine as a Linux application in a Linux virtual machine on top of ChromeOS. I run several Linux applications on mine. If you have a techie student they might be comfortable exploring and managing Linux apps on their own machine. I wouldn't fancy trying to manage several of them with this kind of setup. If/when something goes wrong it might be a pain to support.

The basics of turning on Linux in ChromeOS here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2__5omnfQ8

micro:bits work great on a Chromebook with Makecode and the online python editor - https://python.microbit.org/v/2 and my favourite block based language for micro:bits - Microblocks - https://microblocks.fun/what-is-microblocks
One issue I have had on my one is that I haven't managed to get a serial connection from Linux apps like Thonny to a micro:bit - something Leaving Cert students might want to be able to do. I have one 5th year using a Chromebook with Linux apps but he will move to one of the desktop computers in the room when he needs to do something the Chromebook won't do. He's a techie student who favours using a chromebook across all his subjects as it is fast, light, simple and the battery lasts through the full school day.
I'd say Chromebooks are great for most tasks/subjects at 2nd level including Junior Cert Coding but I'd prefer Windows, Mac or Linux (full version instead of the virtual machine version that folk use on ChromeOS) for Leaving Cert CS.

jh

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/36da5d04-75cb-4c04-badb-582aef81b685n%40googlegroups.com.