Leaving Certificate Computer Science - Research

Joyce Borges

Sep 12, 2022, 6:53:37 AM9/12/22
to CESI-list
LEAVING CERTIFICATE COMPUTER SCIENCE.png

Hi all,

I am a research assistant working in Lero, UL and am working on a research project investigating students' experiences of Leaving Certificate Computer Science. Involved in this research also are Dr Clare McInerney, Dr Chris Exton, Prof Oliver McGarr and Brian Harkin (CodePlus).

We are inviting 5th and 6th Year students to participate and would appreciate if CS teachers got involved and got their students involved in the project.
Little is known about the students' experiences of this new subject and our aim is to work with students and teachers to get a better understanding of students' perspectives and experiences.
We will be publishing a report at the end of the project but can also provide a short report to each participating school on our findings that may help and inform teachers' future planning in the area.

The study will involve one-to-one interviews and brief online written accounts.
We know that schools are busy places, and that the past years has been a challenge, so we have designed the study to have minimal impact on the students. The short site visits to undertake the interviews can be arranged with the CS teacher in advance.

If you are interested in having your students take part in this study, please get in contact with me.
I am also attaching an information sheet outlining all the details of this study. If there are any questions, I am happy to answer them.

We would really welcome and appreciate your contribution to this important study and I look forward to your response.

Email me at:

Thank you,
Joyce Borges
Information Sheet - LCCS.docx

Joyce Borges

Sep 29, 2022, 7:14:46 AM9/29/22
to CESI-list
Only a couple more schools needed for this research project!
LC Computer Science teachers: please consider having your students take part in this important project.
Get in touch to find out more.

LEAVING CERTIFICATE COMPUTER SCIENCE.png

Thanks,
Joyce