Microphone to Phone - follow up

Jason Keelan

May 27, 2023, 7:21:50 AM5/27/23
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi again! Thanks Chris Hassan Con and others who wrote to me re microphone to Phone suggestions. I should have asked at the same time also... Recording video and audio on the go that isn't expensive. I see lots of people on social media doing what look to be simple enough video and audio together on something convenient like a phone. I'm just wondering what experience / suggestions people have with this also. Kind regards
Jason

Chris Reina

May 28, 2023, 4:41:14 PM5/28/23
to CESI-list
Hey Jason,

No problem…

It kind of depends on what I’m doing. As Hass always says “the best camera is the one you have with you” Generally - I'm just out and about and for most things, I use an old iPhone with the Rode Wireless Go II mics. I combine this with a phone case made by SmallRig which has a grip handle and standard screw mounts all over it - but don’t always bring that with me.

The standard camera app is great for quick shoot and go. I also use the Camera+ app (https://camera.plus/) - iPhone only however.

Some notes:
  • Always shoot more footage than you need - it’s digital, so you lose nothing
  • Investigate B-Roll… very useful for all situations
  • You can’t email video. Just don’t. Use WeTransfer or similar.
  • It will always take more time than you think to edit anything
  • Look to the web for free video footage, sound fx, etc. (greenscreeenmemes.com; youtube.comsound-effects.bbcrewind.co.uk;)
  • Sometimes a green screen can work
  • Composition: look to the rule of thirds / interesting angles / good framing
  • Shoot landscape instead of portrait
  • Research and Plan your shoot
  • Lighting - if shooting on different days outdoors (or even minutes!) lighting can be very different!
  • Handheld can be shaky and is really difficult (Pro tip… a good mount on a swivel chair with wheels is your friend!)
  • Shoot as if you are editing (think like an editor)

I tossed some of my kit on a table and took a few pix as well if anyone is interested (see attached)

Pic 1
1) Lavalier Mics
2) TRS to TRRS Cable (medium)
3) TRS to TRRS Cable (short)
4) Viltrox lens adaptor (I had an old Canon with lots of lenses already - adaptor used to mount these to M50 mirrorless)
5) Rode Wireless Go II
6) USB to Lighting Cable
7) SmallRig Handle / Case for iPhone (note cold shoe mount as well)
8) iPad holder for tripod
9) Arca-Swiss Quick Release tripod mount (I switched from the “screw in” type years ago, best decision ever)
 > 2x mid-range tripods (SmallRig again or K&F Concepts which are both great.)

Pic 2
10) Various adaptors, magic arms, grips, cold-shoe mounts
11) Various gender/size/thread converters (you can buy a full set on Amazon for about €15-€20)
12) 3x Lights - LED panels: Sm / Med / Lg

The only other thing I use some times is a cheap wireless (Bluetooth) trigger to start/stop recording. Remarkably useful. (forgot to put in pic)

If I have to show off (or just want that even slightly better quality), I use a Canon M50 mirrorless which is excellent for video / audio with the added ability of swapping lenses (eg: 22mm for that bokeh effect, or long range zoom if need be) - I had an old Canon, gave that to my son and kept the lenses (note #4, Viltrox adaptor)

Note - I did NOT get all this at one time. I’ve built this since before the pandemic. I did invest in a lot during lockdown as we had to do workshops online, rather than in-person, so an upgrade was required.

Happy to chat in more specifics for people who want to know more info on anything. Every setup is different and should be built slowly, carefully and over time.

Cheers,

Chris

Camera_Kit_2.jpgCamera_Kit_1.jpg

On Sat 27 May 2023 at 12:21, Jason Keelan <jason...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi again! Thanks Chris Hassan Con and others who wrote to me re microphone to Phone suggestions. I should have asked at the same time also... Recording video and audio on the go that isn't expensive. I see lots of people on social media doing what look to be simple enough video and audio together on something convenient like a phone. I'm just wondering what experience / suggestions people have with this also. Kind regards
Jason

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/CANPYKf2Fi3rmKFWyObXzdf7M_g8RoQz9tB-HHDN%2BCoV5kuE_FQ%40mail.gmail.com.

MakerMeetIE Email Signature.png

MakerMeetIE
Maker Workshops & Training for S.T.E.A.M.
SCIENCE | TECHNOLOGY | ENGINEERING | ARTS | MATHS

PHONE: 087-2685020
WEB: www.makermeet.ie
TWITTER: @makermeetie
FACEBOOK: makermeetie