iMovie not working with JPEG files

Emma Hallinan

Sep 25, 2022, 10:18:19 AM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,
I am creating a movie on iMovie on the Mac. When I import some JPEG files they are appearing blank on screen/just a black screen. This is with 80% of the photos. The video files have all imported correctly. Has anyone any solution around this?

Thanks
Emma

Chris Reina

Sep 25, 2022, 10:25:38 AM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Emma,

What OS are you on?

I suspect the JPEG files may be created in different places and have different settings. iMovie can be fussy.

I would always open any JPEG, etc. in Preview (or Photoshop/Canva) and save as a high-res PNG file. iMovie prefers these.

You could have a look here - but won't really be any help!

Let me know if you're still having issues.

Chris

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cesi-list/AS4P194MB1768F37532F7B13A18DD1EEACA539%40AS4P194MB1768.EURP194.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

Shane Egan

Sep 25, 2022, 10:26:02 AM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
You could try creating a slideshow of the images in the free app inshot, or equivalent, then import the slideshow as a video file?
Sounds mad, but I have done this before.
Alternatively, take screenshots of the photos and import those?
Shane Egan Clonmel.

Emma Hallinan

Sep 25, 2022, 10:30:05 AM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Yes Chris,
I’m making a retirement video and some photos are years old and others are recent. Is there any converter I can use to convert them to PNG files? I have Handbrake for Video conversion but just wondering is there a similar one for photos?
Thanks Emma

Sent from my iPhone

Chris Reina

Sep 25, 2022, 10:33:44 AM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Understood... I expect that is it.

I would just use the "Preview" app. Open the image in Preview, then go to the File Menu > Export > Choose PNG (or even JPEG!) - that should work for you.

Cheers,

Chris

Emma Hallinan

Sep 25, 2022, 10:45:17 AM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Chris, I have converted a few images to PNG format but they still are not working. I think I will have use another online platform like Canva to make a little movie with them and then import them.
Sent from Outlook for iOS

Sep 25, 2022, 12:24:01 PM9/25/22
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hmmm,

That's odd... if it wasn't too GDPR problematic - could you email me one off list...

I should be able to tell what the issue is by looking at the EXIF data.

You can then have a permanent solution.

Cheers,

Chris