Office 365 and Google suite- can you have both with same domain?

Sinead Coleman

Mar 13, 2018, 8:37:49 AM3/13/18
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Just a query-  we have Office 365 set up as our e Portfolio system in our school. I notice that Aladdin however will only allow a GAFE calendar to sync with their mobile App. I was wondering if anyone knew if it were possible to set up Google Suite using the same domain?
I literally will only need it for the Calendar!!

I would appreciate any advice you might have.

Regards

Sinéad Herlihy

Ciarán Ó Muirgheasa

Mar 13, 2018, 10:04:08 AM3/13/18
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sinead

We have both setup on our domain.  Please note however that only G-Suite functions for email as this is how our DNS is configured.  Our domain is only used for access to Microsoft Office 365 for students.

I am not certain if Calendar functionality will be fully available if G-Suite is not the primary mail domain.

Hope this helps

/Ciarán

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "CESI-list" group.
Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/cesi-list.

The contents and any attachment of this e-mail are private and confidential.They are intended only for the use of the intended addressee.If you are not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,you are notified that any copying, forwarding, publication, review or delivery of this e-mail or any attachments to anyone else or any other use of its contents is strictly prohibited. You are prohibited from reading any part of this e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the system manager. Unauthorised disclosure or communication or other use of the contents of this e-mail or any part thereof may be prohibited by law and may constitute a criminal offence.

Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. St. David's Secondary School does not accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Unless stated to the contrary, any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may not be attributed to St. David's Secondary School.

WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. While this e-mail has been swept for the presence of computer viruses, you are requested to carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. St. David's Secondary School accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by software viruses transmitted by this e-mail.

[...]

Hassan Dabbagh

Mar 13, 2018, 11:04:31 AM3/13/18
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Google suite needs to be connected to your domain, same applies to 365, if you connect up G-suite your going to loose your 365.

Solution:

Why not great a generic gmail address and see if that links to Aladin, is it just an outward facing calendar you’re using? (something for the parents ) or is it inward (something for Students and teachers)

You can link a google calendar to a 365 calendar using IFTTT OR by just adding a calendar to your 365 account. Eg. I have my google calendar running along side my outlook calendar on my surface device.

BUT don’t try connecting up a g-suite account just for a calendar and don’t do a thing until you are sure Aladin will host a google calendar

Hassan Dabbagh
+353 (0)87 9044716

Visit the web site www.cesi.ie
[...]

Fintan Costello

Mar 13, 2018, 11:47:38 AM3/13/18
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

There’s an easier route here; as ou already have Office365, you can use a service called Flow. This will allow you to update any Google calendar from Office365.

So:

  1. Set up a generic Gmail account/calendar; doesn’t have to be on your domain. yours...@gmail.com is fine.

  2. Connect that Gmail calendar to Aladdin.

  3. Enable the flow in Office365 that allows your Office365 calendar automatically update the Gmail calendar. You just need to give it the username and password from the Gmail account.

  4. Enter an event in your O365 calendar; the Gmail calendar will be automatically updated a minute or two later.

Here’s the flow in question, just log in with your O365 credentials.

https://flow.microsoft.com/en-us/galleries/public/templates/10c5a140c24811e6b5549975d228694f/create-new-events-on-google-calendar-from-office-365/ .

Fintan Costello

Office365 Lead
DD: 087 7646092

final

Sinead Coleman

Mar 13, 2018, 6:08:04 PM3/13/18
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Hassan, Ciarán and Fintan,

I have made the fortuitous discovery that the school has a legacy domain that is not in use-
I can use this for G-Suite hopefully.

Regards
Sinéad

J Muller

Mar 14, 2018, 10:25:12 PM3/14/18
to CESI-list
Most Knowledgeable on mixing MS & Google that I know of would be a NZ teacher.

Deals with an identical question in the NZ group (MLE-Reference), you may have to register for it.

I do not think he'd mind if I quote:
"I see a lot of schools that technically run both G Suite and O365.

Many of those schools are 'mainly' G Suite but have O365 configured so that students can download their free version of the desktop applications for their devices (MoE agreement extends to smartphones and tablets running Office as well). Other schools use select apps out of O365 as Steve V mentioned - often this is Minecraft:Education Edition as he pointed out but this could also be OneNote for Class NoteBooks or schools where they need more advanced functions in Excel that Sheets does not offer.

You can do Single Sign On (SSO) in under two minutes if your starting point for identity is AzureAD - I did write a blog post about this last year with instructions that may help:

What this effectively looks like is if a student goes to www.gmail.com and enters their email address, Gmail will redirect them to O365 to enter their password for authentication, and then redirect them back to their Gmail account - it adds an extra second or two to the sign in process really. It also means that a student can sign into https://portal.office.com and leverage all of the O365 apps with the same email address and password seamlessly."

Good Luck,
J.