ClusterIssuer integration

Ali

Jun 22, 2021, 8:01:16 AM6/22/21
to cert-manager-dev
Hi Everyone,

I hope you all are doing great.

I have a scenario where i would like to automate the installation of the ClusterIssuer with the helm chart it-self. I understand the surrounding circumstances of actually doing that but in my case i need to.

Can anyone guide me on how to take a copy of the repo and just add the cluster isser resource inside the templates files pelase?

Regards,

Ali

Richard Wall

Jun 22, 2021, 10:10:32 AM6/22/21
to cert-manager-dev
You can create your own Helm chart with the ClusterIssuer and configure it to *depend* on the published cert-manager chart.

The trouble is that Helm might try installing the ClusterIssuer before the cert-manager webhook TLS is configured:

I have not tried it myself, but perhaps you could use a Helm pre-install hook in *your* chart which blocks until the cert-manager API is usable, by performing `kubectl apply -f test-resources.yaml --dry-run` in a loop until it succeeds:

If you succeed in getting this working, please consider documenting it for the benefit of other cert-manager users:

We've been discussing this problem in Slack today, in case you'd like to weigh in:

Thanks and good luck

-RichardW.

Ali

Jun 23, 2021, 7:09:40 AM6/23/21
to cert-manager-dev
Thanks Richar. This was pretty useful. i will let you know of the results of my work.