Changing how we handle DNS providers

Daniel Morsing

Mar 7, 2019, 7:26:35 AM3/7/19
to cert-manager-dev
Hi all,

In the past couple of releases, we've received an overwhelming amount of
Pull Requests for additional DNS01 challenge providers, including some for
platforms we weren't even aware existed! While we're grateful for all of
PRs, we've reached the point where we cannot keep up with reviewing them
or keep all the dependencies up to date for the myriad of DNS providers.

The plan so far is to provide a webhook interface for modifying DNS
records to satisfy ACME challenges. This will allow users to quickly
set up new DNS providers without waiting for the cert-manager release
cycle and free up our time to work on more features.

Right now, the implementation of the webhook is still in
flux and being finalized, but we do have a rough idea and
anyone interested can follow along on the pull request at
product to be ready for the 0.8 release, due in about a months time. Since
anyone who can talk to the webhook will be able to request certificates
from an ACME server, we want to make sure we get the communication
flow right.

As a result of this, we are not going to review current pull requests for
DNS providers. Once version 0.8 has shipped with the new webhook feature,
we will provide an easy to use library that should make updating the
outstanding pull requests fairly pain-free. Existing DNS01 providers
will keep being supported for the foreseeable future until we devise a
migration plan

Regards,
Daniel Morsing
Jetstack