R4 PatientSearch parameters format

Rui Wang

Mar 10, 2020, 9:52:49 AM3/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

I have a question regarding the format of searching parameters.
(1) Based on the documentation, the phone number format is xxxxxxxxxx(without any dash), but i see that it's also accepted if I search by phone number with dashes like xxx-xxx-xxxx. Just to confirm, are both format accepted?
(2) Same question for SSN number, will it find a match for with or without dashes? fro example, will it return same result if searching by urn:oid:2.16.840.1.113883.4.1|000-00-0000 and by urn:oid:2.16.840.1.113883.4.1|000000000?
(3) Looks like FHIR support the following gender, Male, Female, Other, Unknown. I have tried to enter an invalid gender value like x, and it will just return 0 result.
Just to confirm, if I enter invalid format for any searching parameters, it will just return 0 patient instead of error message, is that correct?

Thanks,
Rui

Madhur Rajendran (Cerner)

Mar 10, 2020, 5:34:44 PM3/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

For (1), while the formats are accepted, we'd recommend removing the formatting while searching. (2) The same is true for identifier searches.

For (3), the searches will generally fail if provided with invalid formats; for example, the birthdate parameter can only be a date, and an error will be thrown if time is provided with the date. If a search parameter doesn't qualify against any patients, we'd return an empty bundle, i.e. 0 results.

Thanks,
Madhur

Rui Wang

Mar 11, 2020, 8:46:52 AM3/11/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Madhur,

Thanks for the information.
Regarding searching using SSN, since the results do not display SSN, can you provide an test SSN I can use for search?

Thanks,
Rui

Rui Wang

Mar 11, 2020, 9:33:20 AM3/11/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Also, for the system value of SSN, are both acceptable or is there a preferred option?

(1) http://hl7.org/fhir/sid/us-ssn (2) urn:oid:2.16.840.1.113883.4.1

Thanks,
Rui

Madhur Rajendran (Cerner)

Mar 11, 2020, 3:23:35 PM3/11/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

You can use 123121234 as an example SSN to search with, or you can create a patient with an SSN that you wish to use.

For the system value of SSN, per the FHIR spec, 'http://hl7.org/fhir/sid/us-ssn' should be used.

Thanks,
Madhur (Cerner)

Rui Wang