FHIR Mapping to EHR

Alex Kaminski

Mar 15, 2021, 12:48:01 AM3/15/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers

Hi,

We're looking at using FHIR and wanted to understand which EHR data points are mapped to FHIR resources.
For example, vital signs are collected from the monitors the patients are hooked up to as well as from nursing flow sheets (based on vital signs the nurse manually records). When looking at the /observation resource and returned vital signs, how can we tell if this is from a monitor or a nurse flow sheet?
Is the answer to this different per hospital / per cerner install?
Would the hospital IT know which data fields from the EHR are fed and mapped to which FHIR endpoints? Would Cerner be the one to know this information?

Any guidance from the group or Cerner staff would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Aaron McGinn (Cerner)

Mar 24, 2021, 1:54:21 PM3/24/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
The original source of the information would not be documented through FHIR, which could also be a source of the information. The client would not know the details of the FHIR services.

-Aaron (Cerner)