Patient Portal Launch

Assigned to aaron....@oracle.com by me

Ezekiel Williams

Feb 9, 2021, 12:32:41 PM2/9/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
I have seen this question asked in a couple different ways on this forum, but the answers are very indirect, so I will try to ask this as best as I can.

Can a SMART compliant app be added to the Patient Portal? In other words, can a client of ours that uses Cerner add our SMART app to their Patient Portal so that patients can open our app from the Patient Portal app?

If so, where is the documentation for this? On this page it just says the Patient Portal is not available for developers to work with: https://fhir.cerner.com/smart/

Aaron McGinn (Cerner)

Feb 12, 2021, 7:17:14 PM2/12/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Unfortunately, our documentation on this is currently lacking. The section you mentioned in our SMART documentation [1] mentions that our current patient portal does not support this functionality for integrated testing, but it is possible to launch an app from a patient portal as a typical SMART launch app. For patient context, you may need to utilize the launch/patient scope.

-Aaron (Cerner)

Ezekiel Williams

Feb 16, 2021, 3:25:43 PM2/16/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Interesting, it would be nice to see some documentation surrounding this. Especially about what opening a SMART app from the patient portal even looks like. Is it a dedicated app, or is the patient just clicking a link?

I think these types of things would be helpful for the other integrations as well. As a developer, I don't necessarily have access to an instance of a Cerner EHR system on my computer that I can poke around to figure out what any of the documentation means in a contextual sense.

Anyway, thanks for your answer, Aaron.

This conversation is locked