Is there a way to search for a Patient's Medication Administrations using a FIN or MRN?

Marla F

Mar 9, 2020, 6:41:11 PM3/9/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
We are trying to pull a specific patients medication admins . The only way I've been able to successfully do this is with the internal (as best I can tell) Cerner id.  This works great, but our trigger for this is actually going to be an HL7 message to let me know which patient med admins I need to pull.  The only patient identifiers that I have are FIN, MRN and the Corporate ID.   None of these seem to work to pull the med admins.   What I've had to do is a query to the patient table and then pull the patient ID from there and then query the Med admin table for the drug administrations.   Is there not a way to just directly query the MedicationAdministration table with a more common identifier?

THANKS!!

Marla

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Mar 10, 2020, 9:21:28 AM3/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Maria,

No, we only support searching by patient ID for MedicationAdministration and for most other resources you will need to have the specific patient ID. As you guessed, the Patient resource does support searching by MRN so if you'd need to search by MRN first on Patient to retrieve the Patient ID.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Marla F

Mar 11, 2020, 5:32:52 PM3/11/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Ben,

Can you provide a sample URL of how the Patient search by MRN would look?  I'm having problems pulling anything from the Patient table except by Name.

Also, is there any way to search the Encounter table by the FIN (Account Number)?

Thanks,

Marla

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Mar 11, 2020, 6:02:45 PM3/11/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Marla,

Apologies on misreading your name!

It will depend on the domain since MRN's systems are OIDs defined by the client. In our sandbox for example we've configured the OID urn:oid:2.2.2.2.2.2 for the system of MRN numbers. This[1] query for example will return back Wilma SMART.

We unfortunately do not support the ability to search by FINs at this time in either DSTU2 or R4.

Thank you,
Ben (Cerner)

Marla F

Mar 12, 2020, 10:54:34 AM3/12/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Ben,

No worries at all!!!

Thanks for the help!  I was able to find our OID and get the MRN search to work!!  THANKS!!

Marla