Justin

Jul 26, 2018, 2:36:21 PM7/26/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers

I need some advice on the best way to achieve what I am trying to do in my app. This is a C# ASP.NET Web App hosted in the cloud with its own SQL Database backend. This is more of an Administrative level app rather than clinical.

What the app wants to know:
1) When a planned or scheduled admission is created or updated
2) When that planned or scheduled admission turns into an actual admission
3) When a standard admission happens
4) When a transfer happens
5) When a discharge happens

The app is external from any EHR but does have the ability to receive FHIR resources and/or go out and get FHIR resources.
So, what is the best way to achieve what the app wants?

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Jul 26, 2018, 2:39:57 PM7/26/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Justin,

It looks like you did ask this out on chat.fhir.org, and that will probably be the best place to get general advice/guidance.

For the Cerner implementation (what this group supports), we do not support Subscription or notification mechanisms from our FHIR server today. We also do not support the messaging part of the FHIR specification (which is closest to the traditional ADT message).

Regards,
~ Jenni

Justin

Jul 26, 2018, 2:45:55 PM7/26/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Yes I did :)

So will Cerner never support the Subscription model? Is there an efficient way to search for new or updated encounters?

Justin

Jul 26, 2018, 3:45:38 PM7/26/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Also, do you have a link to the workflow for Encounters? Like how the process goes for the different statuses?

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Jul 27, 2018, 10:41:11 AM7/27/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Justin,

We would like to eventually support FHIR Subscriptions, but it is a less mature resource still in the specification. There's not a good way to get all encounters across all patients: our FHIR server is currently targeted at realtime patient charting workflows: where an app is actively opened on a single patient's chart in realtime.

Regards,
~ Jenni

Justin

Jul 31, 2018, 1:02:41 PM7/31/18