Chrome Running Web App

Assigned to benjamin...@cerner.com by aaron....@oracle.com

Aarsh Patel

Jun 4, 2020, 10:45:35 AM6/4/20
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com

I am inquiring about the browser requirements for SMART with FHIR integration within the Cerner Millennium EHR. In the technical requirements, it states “For provider-facing apps running from within the Cerner Millennium EHR, the only embedded browser we currently support is Internet Explorer (IE)… We highly suggest that you code your app for IE10 for validation.” However, based on an internal review, we found that Internet Explorer(IE10) has many limitations to the functionality of our solution, impacting our user immensely. Therefore, we have developed our solution to work on Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, not IE10 or IE11. Based on the wording of the technical literature, it seems that our solution would not be able to function within the parameters set by Cerner.

May you advise on the interpretation of this literature and any possible solution avenues to integrate our solution within the Cerner Millennium EHR?

Is there a possibility to run a native Electron / Chromium app for the Cerner EHR as our web application is currently only Chrome based?

Would a native Electron / Chromium app be integrated within Cerner EHR platform?

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Jun 10, 2020, 11:51:58 AM6/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

If you're looking to have a provider facing app that is launched within the EHR, then your app must be compatable with IE11 and/or IE10. Most of our clients are running IE11 in their environments, so you do not necessarily need to target IE10. That being said, MPages components are still using IE 10 compatibility mode, so if you are looking to integrate into an MPage, then you will need to support IE10.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Aarsh Patel

Jun 10, 2020, 12:53:44 PM6/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,
Thank You for your Response.

I still have a remaining followup question:
Would a native Electron / Chromium app be able to bypass the IE10/11 requirement? If so, what would the process to connect to Cerner's EHR look like?

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Jun 10, 2020, 1:50:39 PM6/10/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

No, if you are attempting to have your app launched inside of Powerchart you will not be able to use a Electron/Chromium app.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Evelyn

Jan 8, 2021, 7:58:46 PM1/8/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Ben,

We have a Smart App which is Chromium based. Is it possible to launch from PowerChart, and opens chrome browser outside of PowerChart? If yes, how and where should we configure this?

Thanks,

Aaron McGinn (Cerner)

Jan 9, 2021, 4:13:34 PM1/9/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Per our group guidelines, please open a new thread for your question.

-Aaron (Cerner)
This conversation is locked