Short Circuit Evaluation of Search Operations

Joseph Blumenthal

Apr 13, 2021, 10:25:55 AM4/13/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Everyone,
      Does anyone know if FHIR search operations support short circuit evaluation? For example if I'm searching for social history and I say

{fhir base uri}/Observation/?patient=123&code=http://snomed.info/sct|363905002& clinical-status=active

Would the search perform better since the filter on SNOMED code is more narrow than the number of inactive social history entries?

Would I get the same performance with the statement below?

{fhir base uri}/Observation/?patient=123& clinical-status=active&category=social-history&code=http://snomed.info/sct|363905002

Aaron McGinn (Cerner)

Apr 16, 2021, 1:31:45 PM4/16/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
The clinical-status parameter is not a valid search parameter [1], but in general, more parameters allow us to filter results down quicker (because fewer are returned).

-Aaron (Cerner)

Joseph Blumenthal

Apr 16, 2021, 1:35:53 PM4/16/21
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Aaron,
       Thank you for the help. One question though. Is the order of evaluation guaranteed and will it "short circuit" if the condition isn't met?

Thanks,
Joseph

Aaron McGinn (Cerner)

Apr 16, 2021, 1:45:38 PM4/16/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
If you mean the order of the query parameters, they are not parsed in the order passed but as to what makes the most sense hierarchically (i.e. only search social history for a specific code instead of all categories).

-Aaron (Cerner)