SMART app with and without FHIR

Mike Whitcher

Nov 28, 2017, 4:26:21 PM11/28/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers

Do all versions of PowerChart support SMART on FHIR?  Is there a minimum version that a Cerner client must be using to make use of SMART applications and FHIR?

Does PowerChart support an API that can Launch a URL to pass current UserID and patient context without FHIR?  In this case, no other resources would be queried.

Yegor Hanov (Cerner)

Nov 28, 2017, 9:59:52 PM11/28/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi, Mike!

Ignite API (our brand name for SMART/FHIR implementation) is supported for 2015.01 and any subsequent release of Cerner Millennium platform.

We do support an ability to launch a SMART-only application within the EHR [1], which would benefit from the standard exchange of patient and provider context.  In this case the app will need to interact with the FHIR server to determine the location of the OAuth end point, but will not be required to make any additional FHIR API calls beyond that.

Thanks,

Yegor (Cerner)

Mike Whitcher

Nov 29, 2017, 8:54:52 AM11/29/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks Yegor,

I reviewed the link you sent, it implies we can receive patient and user context with the access token.  I will look at this.  What is needed to cause my app to launch outside of the EHR rather than in the browser embedded in PowerChart?

Kol Kheang (Cerner)

Dec 4, 2017, 6:49:13 PM12/4/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Mike,

Per your question:

What is needed to cause my app to launch outside of the EHR rather than in the browser embedded in PowerChart?

Your app will be launched in a browser when launching from code Console for testing.  Your application will not be able to launch outside of the EHR (PowerChart) beyond code Console.

Thanks,
Kol

Kol Kheang (Cerner)

Dec 6, 2017, 4:56:14 PM12/6/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Mike,

I interpreted your question above as a SMART launched provider flow; I answered with the above response.

To clarify, we also support (limitations) provider and patient standalone launch flows.  The standalone launch will not be SMART launched (there is no launch context).  Your app would connect to Cerner's implementation of FHIR directly.  For a provider standalone app, your app would need to enable a patient search functionality to get the patient in context.  For a patient standalone app, the patient would log in with their credential and authorize.  We've put together a tutorial for patient facing standalone launch here: http://engineering.cerner.com/smart-on-fhir-tutorial/#standalone-app-launch-for-patient-access-workflow

With that said, there are some limitations, but tolerable, when working with standalone launch apps.  There are some things that will need to be hardcoded for now for standalone launch, but shouldn't prevent you from looking into these flows.