Marital status - multiple coding systems, which one should I use?

Assigned to Fenil....@cerner.com by me

Pedro Simon

Jun 4, 2021, 9:59:49 AM6/4/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi! This is somewhat a general question, but since right now I'm trying to read and write from Patient.maritalStatus, I'll take it as an example.

Per the documentation, I know the possible values can come from two different code systems:

How do I know which one I need to use? Can I rely only on the standard system http://terminology.hl7.org/CodeSystem/v3-MaritalStatus?
Can I be sure I will always get both the standard and the proprietary codings from the outbound data, as shown in the example in this page?

Thanks!

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Jun 4, 2021, 12:00:01 PM6/4/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hello,

If the correct mappings are present, you should expect both of the code System to come back.
Which one to use, would be dependent on your Application.

Thanks,
Fenil (Cerner)

Pedro Simon

Jun 7, 2021, 9:24:48 AM6/7/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Got it, then I'll use standard codes whenever I can. Thanks a lot!