FinancialTransaction Discovery

Assigned to mphil...@gmail.com by me

JT Snyder

Mar 19, 2021, 10:29:20 AM3/19/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Good Morning All! I'm actively working through a discovery of the FinancialTransaction scope. Unfortunately, I don't see it in the sandbox as an option. I'm attaching what I do see for review. I'm also discovering the Account scope, but I don't appear to be retrieving a list patients referenced by this link - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-YcwiOcWkdcVHhfiXKMplxHJ6BzpG_-IjhuyS1L1ioY/edit. I'm attaching a screen snip of the patients that I do see. Thanks in advance for any guidance!

-JT

patients.PNG
scopes.PNG

JT Snyder

Mar 23, 2021, 3:36:55 PM3/23/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi All,

I was curious to know if anyone had any thoughts on this inquiry. Thanks again!

-JT

Max Philips (Cerner)

Mar 23, 2021, 3:49:39 PM3/23/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi JT,

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response! We are taking a look at this now.

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)

Max Philips (Cerner)

Mar 24, 2021, 9:46:41 AM3/24/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi JT,

Per http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/r4/financial/financial-transaction/#authorization-types, the only supported authorization type for creating FinancialTransaction resources is System. So, in the code Console, the scope won't be available in the User (Provider) or Patient scopes selections. You should be able to switch your registration over to system or register a new system app to interact with the FinancialTransaction API.

Since system access is used, you won't need to launch from the code Console with a specific patient in context and can use any of the patients provided in that test data doc in your app.

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)

JT Snyder

Mar 24, 2021, 12:42:31 PM3/24/21
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

Thanks for the direction. As far as a payment workflow goes then, how would a patient or provider application leverage a system application for the purpose of issuing a payment? Scenario - I log into a patient portal. I review my account for balance(s) due. I initiate a payment request. Please advise. Thanks again!

-JT

Max Philips (Cerner)

Mar 25, 2021, 4:13:27 PM3/25/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi JT,

I think I am now caught up with what you are looking to do!

If you want to have a patient/provider facing application, you should be able to register and launch that application as normal. When getting tokens in the context of that application, the FinancialTransaction scopes will be unavailable.

However, you can register a system account with Cerner by following these steps: http://fhir.cerner.com/authorization/#registering-a-system-account

That system account should be registered in the code Console as its own application - but within the context of your patient / provider app you can use the system account to issue FinancialTransaction requests (instead of using the system application as a separate entity as I recommended above).

Let me know if that sounds like it will work for you.

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)

JT Snyder

Mar 27, 2021, 1:36:48 PM3/27/21
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Max,

This reads like a desirable plan to me. I’m going to attempt a proof of concept. Thanks for the guidance!

-JT