How to do authentication for "external" apps?

Steve Clark

Jan 11, 2018, 12:55:33 PM1/11/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
We have an existing SMART on FHIR app, which we use in PowerChart. Therefore, authentication is done within the context of the PowerChart environment. The user has already be authenticated via the PowerChart login.

Let's say we now want to hit the same SMART app outside of PowerChart and prompt the user for their credentials, like we do in the sandbox (see below). How is this done? Where is the documentation explaining how to do this? Thank you!

Kol Kheang (Cerner)

Jan 11, 2018, 4:09:10 PM1/11/18
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

We don't have support for what you're looking for using the EHR launched flow via the web.  However, we do support standalone provider and patient flows.  Standalone apps enable you to load up the app without needing to be launched by the EHR.

Steps to create a provider standalone app:
- Use the smart on fhir tutorial app @ http://engineering.cerner.com/smart-on-fhir-tutorial/
- Choose user level FHIR scopes (e.g. user/Person.read, user/Patient.read, user/Encounter.read) when registering for an app in code Console
- Remove 'launch' scope from the launch.html page (in other word, don't include launch scope when making a request to the Authorization Server)
- Implement patient search functionality in the app using Cerner's implementation of FHIR APIs
- Load the application using: