Cerner API for third-party app integration

George Ortiz

Sep 13, 2017, 6:05:24 PM9/13/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Is this the right api (http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/dstu2/) to utilize if I want to allow patients (who have medical records in a Cerner sytem) to view their EMR data within my third-party app? For example, authenticate and then view their medications via the Medication Order resource within the API. If not directly, are there routes to achieve this where I submit a Cerner application that the hospital can approve which would then allow connections and data retrieval into my third-party app? If not possible, does anyone know alternatives to achieve this?

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Sep 14, 2017, 2:42:12 PM9/14/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi George,

Yes, this is the right API. Your application will be authenticating on behalf of a user: http://fhir.cerner.com/authorization/#requesting-authorization-on-behalf-of-a-user

And you can find some information about test patients and their logins here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/cerner-fhir-developers/edPUbVPIag0/oI_kc6wlEAAJ

You'll start by registering your application in our code console: http://fhir.cerner.com/authorization/#registration

Since it's for patient access to their own data, you do not need to be part of our code program before going to prod.

As many sites are still working on initial trials of some of the patient access and setup, and may not be ready for a full production app yet, the process for getting to production is not very smooth at this point. For example, we're working on publishing our FHIR endpoints for different sites, which your application will need, and streamlining the way your application will get access so it's not as manual as it is today. Look for more information to come out here as this progresses.

In the meantime, the first requirement is definitely to test your application against our sandbox and get it registered in our code portal.

~ Jenni