EMR Logged-in Provider and Current Patient Record

Keith Welch

Jan 29, 2019, 5:49:00 PM1/29/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
If a provider invokes a SMART app from within a patient record from the EMR, how can I determine the identity of the provider and patient? I suspect that this may require development beyond the SMART app. Other EHRs require the firing of an event from their GUI that contain these identities.

Beyond that, I had assumed that an app invoked by a provider would have access to any of his patients. Is that a valid assumption?

Thank you,

Keith Welch

Michele Mottini

Jan 29, 2019, 5:54:14 PM1/29/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers

If a provider invokes a SMART app from within a patient record from the EMR, how can I determine the identity of the provider

Use the scopes 'openid profile', the info of the logged-in provider are in the id_token property of the token response (as a JWT)

and patient?

The FHIR ID of the patient is in the 'patient' property of the token response

See the SMART docs at http://hl7.org/fhir/smart-app-launch/ and the Cerner auth docs at https://fhir.cerner.com/authorization/

  - Michele
  CareEvolution Inc

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Jan 30, 2019, 11:01:09 AM1/30/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Keith,

Michele is correct on the standard way to get user and patient information from the SMART standard, and these are supported in our implementation.

For the access question: Yes, assuming you're using user/... scopes, you would have access to the patients the physician has access to. However, if using a user/... scope, there is no patient in context - your app would need to write its own search anyway for the practitioner. The workflow used often depends on where your app launches from/if it is launched or standalone.

Regards,
~ Jenni