Expected flow after POSTing proposed Appointment

Assigned to sansch...@gmail.com by aaron....@oracle.com

Cyrus Bahrassa

Mar 5, 2021, 8:51:03 AM3/5/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Based on this conversation and my testing in the sandbox, it appears we are still unable to POST Appointments with a status of 'proposed' in the sandbox. Since I can't test this out myself, can someone explain the expected behavior once a proposed Appointment is created in Millennium using the R4 API?

For example, let's say I POST a proposed Appointment with Patient A and Location B as the participants. My requestedPeriod is 2021-03-10T12:00:00Z to 2021-03-15T12:00:00Z. I get a 201 Created response with an Appointment resource listed.

Some inter-related questions I have:
  1. What does Millennium do with a proposed Appointment? Does it find the first available Slot for a Practitioner within the requestedPeriod and Location and book that Slot? Does a scheduler working in Millennium see that proposal and manually assign a particular provider and time slot? Something else?
  2. If I were to call GET /Appointment/:id right after I receive the 201 Created response, would the status still be 'proposed'? If yes, which system (the app or Millennium) is responsible for converting the status to 'booked'?
  3. How does the app know if a participant accepted or rejected the proposed Appointment?
Thank you.

Sydne Anschutz (Cerner)

Mar 8, 2021, 5:56:13 PM3/8/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hello,

It is now possible to create a proposed Appointment, and here are a couple of serviceType codes you can use:
408443003 - New Patient
394581000 - Video Visit

As for your other questions, our API only creates the proposed Appointment. Millennium does not subsequently do anything with the proposed appointment. If you were to GET the appointment right after creating it, it will still be in the proposed status until it gets updated.

Sydne (Cerner)

Cyrus Bahrassa

Mar 9, 2021, 7:09:34 PM3/9/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks for the update. Are you also saying Millennium doesn't display a proposed Appointment in any way? If that's the case, I'm wondering what value a proposed Appointment offers, since there seems to be no valid workflow for it and an external application is better off simply booking the appointment.

Sydne Anschutz (Cerner)

Mar 10, 2021, 10:31:42 AM3/10/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Millennium doesn't automatically update the appointment. A user can modify the appointment through Millennium or FHIR, but this Google Group only supports the FHIR APIs, so we won't be able to go into specifics of which Millennium Applications can be used during the scheduling workflow.

Sydne

Richard Leaf (Cerner)

Mar 12, 2021, 6:43:03 PM3/12/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
When creating an appointment using FHIR with a status of proposed, Millennium will take that and route it to the configured Appointment Request queues, and it will also display on any views of the patient where there are Appointment Requests.  There are several places within Millennium that the proposed appointment (aka Appointment Request in Millennium terminology) will be displayed for endusers to take action on the request.
This conversation is locked