What is the correct workflow for updating telecom entries

Assigned to aaron....@oracle.com by me

Robert Jones

Mar 18, 2021, 11:24:31 AM3/18/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

One of the features of our application is allowing patients to update their phone/email/address during a light-weight check-in process. Given the details present in a patient.telecom record, it's unclear to me what the proper workflow should be.

For example, suppose I have a patient with the following telecom record:

[ {'id': 'CI-PH-29825615-2',
  'system': 'phone',
  'value': '9181324910',
  'use': 'home',
  'rank': 1,
  'period': {'start': '2020-09-04T14:42:38.000Z'}}
]

And I want to update the patient's 'home phone' because they've provided a new number.

Option one is to do a patch operation on that record, but that feels wrong because the period.start would be incorrect.

Option two is to add a new record with system 'phone', use 'home', 'rank' 1, and set the period.start to the current date/time.

Is there guidance on which approach is appropriate?

If I do Option Two, should I patch the old record with a lower rank and add a period.end?

If not, which record will appear as the current "Home Phone" in the UI? They both will have the same rank, but one will have a more recent start period.

Thanks,
Rob

Aaron McGinn (Cerner)

Mar 22, 2021, 6:05:51 PM3/22/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
You should patch the existing phone to have a period.end and add a new home phone.

-Aaron (Cerner)

Robert Jones

Mar 22, 2021, 6:15:24 PM3/22/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers