Medications in MedicationAdministration

Nikson k john

Apr 17, 2018, 9:39:12 AM4/17/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers

I have one query in MedicationAdministration resource. For this-(MedicationAdministration/7283327) resource, I have noted that the medication is part of "contained" element and there is no MedicationCodeableConcept.
My query is that if we are not able to find any Medications in MedicationCodeableConcept then there is a possibility that they may refer Medications in "contained" element. Right?

Could you please confirm this scenario?

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Apr 17, 2018, 12:04:33 PM4/17/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

Correct, Medications are either represented as either CodeableConcept or contained (References) in our system. This is described here for MedicationAdministration: http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/dstu2/medications/medication-administration/#search (under implementation notes).

~ Jenni

Nikson k john

Apr 18, 2018, 1:02:16 AM4/18/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Jenni,

   Got it. Thanks.

   Nikson

Nikson k john

Apr 18, 2018, 7:55:17 AM4/18/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers

I have another query. In 7277333(MedicationAdministration) patient is administered to consume Acetaminophen with Glucose.

At the same time he(Patient-4642007) is administered to consume the Acetaminophen drug alone(7277325). The EffectiveTimeDateTime is same for both.

Can we administer the same medicine in different way at the same time? or it is entered-in-error?

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Apr 18, 2018, 2:26:44 PM4/18/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

It looks like they're both given and not in error  (status is completed, wasNotTaken is false):

If something was in error, the status of that resource should be "entered-in-error"

The data returned by FHIR represents whatever the Nurse charted. In this case, this is our development environment so it's possible you'll see things that aren't necessarily something they would do in a clinical scenario. However, it's possible for there to be multiple orders with the same ingredient being administered at the same time.

~ Jenni