TroubleShooting Create MedicationStatement

Wood Glass

Dec 11, 2019, 10:43:58 AM12/11/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers

I have been experiencing issues whilst trying to POST a new MedicationStatement to our client site. Referring to the documentation, The only requirements to do so are:
  1. resourceType (MedicationStatement)
  2. patient (reference)
  3. status ("active")
  4. medication (either as a contained reference or a CodeableConcept)
  5. Only MedicationStatements about home medications or historical medications can be created
I have confirmed my chosen medicine is a Home Medication for my test patient. I provided medication as a CodeableConcept for aspirin using rxnorm. Instead of a 201 Created with Location header, I receive a 422 Unprocessable entity.

Simple Example (Patient Id replaced with place holder) :
POST /MedicationStatement
Body:
{
  "resourceType": "MedicationStatement",
  "patient": {
    "reference": "Patient/12345"
  },
  "status": "active",
 "medicationCodeableConcept": {
    "coding": [
      {
         "code": "1191",
         "display": "Aspirin"
      }
    ],
    "text": "aspirin"
  }
}

This behavior is consistent for differing patients, differing Home Medications, and providing medicines as a contained reference vs a CodeableConcept. I must be missing something here?

Madhur Rajendran (Cerner)

Dec 11, 2019, 12:01:28 PM12/11/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Wood,
Thank you for providing the X-Request-Id!

You are receiving that error because the terminology mappings for creating MedicationStatements aren't present in the domain. Please log an SR to us with a request for the mappings.

Thanks,
Madhur (Cerner)

Wood Glass

Dec 11, 2019, 1:02:41 PM12/11/19