"In the logs" - can we see?

Carl Marshall

May 14, 2019, 1:16:19 PM5/14/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
I see the phrase "In the logs..." appearing quite a few times from Cerner's responses and (whilst this isn't the first time I've thought this) I'm prompted to ask...

Which logs?

And, can we see them?

At best, the Cerner Central Audit Tool is a watered down version of some logs, but for the developmental feedback and data (speaking as a client, rather than a vendor) that they can provide, is there a mechanism that we see them and thus we can benefit (and ask fewer questions!)? If there isn't, can one be developed please? (and if the latter, to whom do I need to encourage?)

Thanks,
Carl

Carl Marshall

Senior Informatics ManagerTransplant Centre
Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences, Oxford Transplant Centre, Churchill Hospital,Headington, Oxford OX3 7LE

Senior Applications Systems ProgrammerIM&T
Room 26A, IM&T, Manor House Annex, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford OX3 9DU

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

May 15, 2019, 9:34:47 AM5/15/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Carl,

We're typically referring to our cloud FHIR or authorization log files. The X-Request-Id and Cerner-Correlation-Id headers we send in the response allow us to track down specific instances of errors so that we can help troubleshoot issues (especially when apps are first integrating in our sandbox).

We also try to return something meaningful in the error responses of the servers, but not all apps (or libraries) capture the response bodies or response headers and show it. We're also improving the responses sent back to apps for FHIR in R4 (more operationOutcomes will be sent back if there's an error).

Since FHIR is a Cerner managed, cloud hosted, multi-tenant environment, we provide the support and management for the cloud services. We do expose Lights On to clients for views of what apps are using FHIR, which resources they use, and how much usage is occurring. As you note, the audit logs also have some of that information (though it's meant/structured more for HIPAA type reports and audits).

What type of information are you wanting to get to? Is this for troubleshooting apps you are developing? Or another use case?

Regards,
Jenni