How does the example Smart app pass patient ID from the launch page to smart app?

Sheldon

Jun 28, 2019, 1:53:34 PM6/28/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
I tried installing the example SMART app locally and launch from the developer dashboard, and it worked. But I wonder how patient ID is passed to my local app. I didn't see it passed as a parameter in URL. My questions are:

(1) how is it passed?
(2) at what point (at launch.html or after redirect to index.html) are patient info fetched from server and stored in local sessions?

Thanks!

Sheldon

Jennifer Hong (Cerner)

Jun 28, 2019, 3:59:46 PM6/28/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Sheldon,

The developer dashboard simulates the launch of an application via the SMART framework. On launch, a launch context is created that captures information about the patient and encounter that were selected and is passed as the "launch" parameter to the registered SMART launch url.

The patient information is fetched from the server on the index.html page, after the authorization workflow has been completed and an access token has been created.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Additional documentation: