Filtering and Sorting of Conditions

Mark Butler

Jun 21, 2018, 6:20:12 PM6/21/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
In short: Does the Cerner Fhir server return all conditions for a patient?

I'm using the FHIR DOTNET api against the Cerner DSTU2 instance and I was attempting to filter down to snomed codes for diabetes. Above is an example of one of the request url's it generated. I kept getting a whole pile of conditions (338 of them) for patient id: 4342010 (Joe SMART?) regardless of the filters I applied. After searching the forum and the documentation I came to the conclusion that there is a limited number accepted parameters. Just the four listed here: https://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/dstu2/general-clinical/condition/#parameters

So, I'm wondering if pagination has been implemented on Conditions? Meaning I can expect all Conditions for a patient to be retrieved except where filtered by category and/or clinicalstatus?

Thanks,

MArk B.
P.S. How do suggest I search in the returned conditions list for indications/diagnosis's of diabetes?

Max Philips (Cerner)

Jun 21, 2018, 6:57:09 PM6/21/18
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Mark,

You're right, pagination is not implemented for the Condition resource in Cerner's sandbox. As you expect, all Conditions except those filtered by the request parameters we expose will return.

I would however recommend that you implement your Condition queries in such a way that paging is handled as we may add paging in the future to resources that do not currently page. If you are using an existing reference library like the .NET API you should be good on this front.

You can search the returned conditions list for diabetes via Condition.code - for example in the sandbox environment we have http://snomed.info/sct|44054006 mapped for Type 2 Diabetes. Depending on which representations of diabetes are important to your workflow, you can filter the conditions list accordingly.

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)