Middle name support

Rui Wang

Jun 7, 2020, 4:24:42 PM6/7/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Team,

I don't see middle name is available when creating patient using FHIR R4 Create endpoint. Just to confirm, middle name is not supported on FHIR APIs, is that correct?

Thanks,
Rui

Michele Mottini

Jun 7, 2020, 7:17:16 PM6/7/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
name,given is a list, so you can put middle names there

  - Michele
  CareEvolution Inc

Rui Wang

Jun 8, 2020, 8:41:19 AM6/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
But then how do you decide which one in the array is first name and which is middle name when reading the patient object?

Michele Mottini

Jun 8, 2020, 8:47:07 AM6/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
The first one is the first name  and the others are the middle names maybe?

  - Michele
  CareEvolution Inc

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Jun 8, 2020, 9:18:57 AM6/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

Michele is correct. The first value in the "given" field is the name and the subsequent values are treated as the middle names.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Max Philips (Cerner)

Jun 8, 2020, 9:21:22 AM6/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)

Rui Wang

Jun 8, 2020, 10:55:18 AM6/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks all! That's helpful.

Since middle name and first name are both in given array,  does it mean I can only search by either middle or first but not both at the same time since search API only accept one given name parameter?

Thanks,
Rui

Max Philips (Cerner)

Jun 8, 2020, 11:08:35 AM6/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

That's correct.

The Patient search parameter 'name' is a string type per FHIR: http://hl7.org/fhir/r4/patient.html#search

Sending in multiple 'name' values (i.e. comma-separated) to Cerner's sandbox server results in a 400 Bad Request with an OperationOutcome explaining the issue.

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)

Rui Wang

Jun 9, 2020, 8:56:15 AM6/9/20