SMART on FHIR Embedded Launch Performance

Travis Cummings

Jul 11, 2019, 6:29:16 PM7/11/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

We are reviewing some of the performance profiles of our applications.  We see that embedded SMART on FHIR apps are taking about 3-4 seconds to complete the launch flow and acquire the access token.

What sort of launch times are people seeing in production apps (before any FHIR queries)?

Are there any best-practices related to SOF launch that would help speed up the flow?

Thanks,
Travis

Kol Kheang (Cerner)

Jul 12, 2019, 4:43:02 PM7/12/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Travis,

Could you give us some launch IDs that you got from your testing?  This would help us look in our logs to figure out what's going on with the launches.

The app has to make a call to the FHIR /metadata endpoint using the iss query param to discover the /authorize and /token URLs.  One way to speed up is to cache this information in your app so that once the EHR redirects to the app's launch URL, it can then request the authorize URL and call the token URL after that.

Thanks,
Kol