Standalone Smart App

Assigned to Fenil....@cerner.com by me

Anuj Saheba

Dec 3, 2021, 3:36:38 PM12/3/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Cerner Engineering team,

I am looking into developing a standalone Smart App that would not be tied to FHIR.
  1. Can you please point me in the right direction of how a user would be authenticated (OAuth 2) and how it would be implemented?
  2. Is there any documentation of how a link can be created and embedded into Cerner, so that a client/user can click on the link and be redirected to a registered Smart App? To provide additional context, this would be a standalone app that would not be tied to FHIR and would be launched in context of a specific patient.
    1. Would the link be present in Cerner and then when it is clicked, the app would have to appear embedded within the EMR or is it possible to open in a separate browser tab?
I greatly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you,
Anuj Saheba

Anuj Saheba

Dec 7, 2021, 9:49:36 AM12/7/21
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cerner Engineering Team,

I wanted to follow up to see if you can provide any information for the questions mentioned in the original email.

Thank you,
Anuj Saheba

This email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. The contents may contain protected information under applicable laws, contract or legal privilege. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Dec 7, 2021, 2:27:31 PM12/7/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hello Anuj,

To clarify,
Do you need to embed the App in the EMR and launch into the embedded browser of Patient's chart?
Or do you need to just embed the basic App within patient's chart and after the App is launched redirect to a local browser?
Or you don't need to embed the App into patient's chart?

Thanks,
Fenil

Anuj Saheba

Dec 7, 2021, 2:40:32 PM12/7/21
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hi Fenil,

I would like to create a link that I can embed in the context of a specific patient. Then the user would click the link to launch the application in a new window. This could occur in the current window or a new tab.

Thank you,
Anuj Saheba

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Dec 8, 2021, 12:34:21 PM12/8/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
A true standalone SMART App would be launching the App outside of the patient's chart and hence patient context would not be available. The end user would need to login.
If launching the App from the Patient's chart, for the patient to be in-context, that would be a SMART on FHIR launch, the end-user does not need to login.

Anuj Saheba

Dec 15, 2021, 11:54:52 AM12/15/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Fenil,

Thank you for that information.  I have listed a few additional questions that I have below. The application runs separately and would be accessible via a url. Thus I am looking for an option that allows the user to already be authenticated  (OAuth2) and is able to click a hyperlink that is embedded in the EMR, which will redirect them to our application. To launch this app, all we would need access to is the patient's MRN
  • Is there a location in which a hyperlink to a standalone app could be created? Would this be done in PatientChart or another module?
Thank you,
Anuj Saheba

Anuj Saheba

Dec 16, 2021, 10:28:30 AM12/16/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Cerner Code team,

To add additional context to my previous post, I have a separate application that is running and would like it to be accessbile for a user via the EMR where:
  1. It is a link in PatientChart and upon a user clicking it, the application opens up
  2. It is an MPage that can be selected and viewed
In both cases mentioned above, the application would need to leverage the patient's mrn. In addition, I would like to leverage the SSO experience and not require the user to have to insert their credentials again.

If you can please help address the questions in the previous email and this one, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Anuj Saheba

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Dec 16, 2021, 12:02:46 PM12/16/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
I think the best option would be to load the SMART app using the embedded browser. Then provide a link to the user to click or automatically trigger the API via onload to open a new browser on the user's computer.  We have that API today to open a new window on the user's computer.

To achieve SSO, your would need to have a SMART App launching within the patient's context, which will provide you with the Patient ID, which can then be queried to retrieve MRN. MRN won't be passed as direct context.
Once the App is launched, you can use APPLINK to redirect the user to your site.

Anuj Saheba

Jan 3, 2022, 10:10:08 AM1/3/22
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Fenil,

Thank you for that information!  A few additional questions:
  1. Are MPages available via Cerner mobile apps as well?
  2. Is it possible to work on Patient Chart/MPage in the development sandbox?
Thank you,
Anuj Saheba

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Jan 3, 2022, 12:33:16 PM1/3/22
to Cerner FHIR Developers
  1. Are MPages available via Cerner mobile apps as well?
    • No
  1. Is it possible to work on Patient Chart/MPage in the development sandbox?
    • You may either want to join the CODE Program (https://code.cerner.com/) or work with a Health System directly to get access

Anuj Saheba

Jan 3, 2022, 5:37:39 PM1/3/22
to Cerner FHIR Developers

Hi Fenil,

Would the PatientChart be available via Cerner mobile app?

Thank you,
Anuj Saheba