Uniqueness of FHIR document id and information

Assigned to Fenil....@cerner.com by me

Francesca Ricci-Tam

Aug 14, 2021, 8:05:08 PM8/14/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hello,

I would like to understand a bit more about how unique the id's of FHIR documents are. For instance, is it possible for two Cerner documents, with two different ResourceTypes, to have the same document id (e.g., one NutritionOrder document might have the same id as a Condition document, either for the same patient or pertaining to two different patients)? How about if the documents came from different EHR providers (e.g., Cerner and EPIC)?

Also, I would like to get a sense for how to tell if there is duplicate information in a bundle of requested documents for a given resource.
When I request the Conditions for a test patient, I am flooded with thousands of documents in one bundle. How can I tell whether some of those resources are referring to the same condition but just with some slightly different parameter (e.g., the patient is diagnosed with Covid, and there might be several Condition documents all relating to this one condition, perhaps one document having clinicalStatus "active" and another with clinicalStatus "inactive" or "remission", or one document with verificationStatus "confirmed" and another with "entered-in-error", and so forth). I do not need all of that information, but I also don't know what I should be looking at to assess which documents are relevant and which ones are just repeating information in another document. Does anyone have suggestions for this?

Thanks,

Francesca Ricci-Tam

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Aug 16, 2021, 10:26:08 AM8/16/21
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hello,

The id for each document would be unique in the pretext fo the resource. All other ids within the bundle would have a reference for other resource.
The App needs to determine on de-dup logic. The FHIR APIs would return all the documented data.

Thanks,
Fenil

Francesca Ricci-Tam

Aug 16, 2021, 12:14:13 PM8/16/21
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
Hello Fenil,

thanks for your prompt reply.
Just to make sure I understand correctly, you are saying that there is no guarantee that the id of a document of one resourceType might not pop up again as the id of a document of another resourceType, but it is guaranteed to be unique for its own resourceType?
Cheers,

Francesca

Fenil Desani (Cerner)

Aug 16, 2021, 1:23:22 PM8/16/21