Characters limit on address lines, City and State

Rui Wang

Jul 8, 2020, 2:35:15 PM7/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Team,

What is the maximum number of characters that the following field can accept when perform a PatientCreate via R4 API?
Address line,
Address city,
Address State

We tested to put about 250 characters in address line 1 and the request failed with the following error:
Cannot process request (status code - "InternalServerError"): "{\"resourceType\":\"OperationOutcome\",\"issue\":[{\"severity\":\"fatal\",\"code\":\"exception\",\"details\":{\"text\":\"Internal service error from resource store\"}}]}"

We have a UI that will allow user to enter these demographics so we would like to put a length validation to it to avoid this situation.

Thanks,
Rui

Max Philips (Cerner)

Jul 8, 2020, 2:52:11 PM7/8/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

We'll publish the new documentation when we deploy a code change to the server that updates the generic error message you've noted to an informative error. I don't have an exact date to pass along, but the code change is at the end of its lifecycle.

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)

Max Philips (Cerner)

Jul 14, 2020, 5:26:58 PM7/14/20
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

The code change to fix up the OperationOutcome received in cases where string length limits are exceeded when creating Patients is live in Cerner's sandbox.

We published updated documentation for the limits of each field on: http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/r4/individuals/patient/#body-fields

Please let us know if you see anything unexpected!

Thanks,
Max (Cerner)