Cerner EMR FHIR integration with external, Prescriber registry application

scott w

Nov 18, 2017, 12:35:22 PM11/18/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
If this is a question about an error or issue you are seeing, please fill out the following fields:

I am interested in building FHIR integration between Cerner EMR and a 3rd party, practitioner registry database.  Currently, the practitioner enrolls on the 3rd party dbase via the web (URL) which authorizes them to prescribe specific medications

·      Are there CDS hooks (i.e. Medication-Prescribe) supported by Cerner at this time that will launch a CDS service or self developed API that I can run within the EMR to then…..

o   Check the drug being ordered and if a certain drug, prompt the user/physician

o   Ask if they need to enroll in the registry

o   If so, collect information through a form(?) and send this to the 3rd party registry – can this be done with standard FHIR resources (EnrollmentRequest or other)?  If not, can an HL7 event be used to send the data and enroll the practitioner?

Given the scope and the interest in using FHIR can you please provide ideas based on Cerner capabilities today?  The more details and technical architecture description is much appreciated.  For components that are in development or future, that is okay as long as I develop a technically feasible solution.

Regards

Kevin Shekleton (Cerner)

Nov 19, 2017, 5:09:54 AM11/19/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Scott,

You can read about all of our FHIR and SMART capabilities by visiting http://fhir.cerner.com/.

We have not yet implemented CDS Hooks in our EHR as the standard has not yet had a 1.0 release. As the CDS Hooks project lead, I'm very anxious for us to get 1.0 out the door. I would welcome any feedback on the specification, especially as we work towards the impending 1.0 release. If you haven't already, take a look at https://github.com/cds-hooks/docs and let us know how things look!

Best,
Kevin (Cerner)

whitespc

Nov 20, 2017, 3:18:08 PM11/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thank you -
1) If CDS hooks aren't supported, how can I launch an app in Cerner from within the EMR workflow?  Is this a matter of working with Cerner under the developer program and having a specific "service" launch a SMART app?

2) Can cerner be configured to launch a dialog/message to a user at the time of first logon that then invokes a SMART app or custom API? Can you elaborate?

3) How and what are the costs for working with Cerner to work through smart app development.  We will want to scope out feasibility so costs can be budgeted for implementation.

Thank you

Kevin Shekleton (Cerner)

Nov 21, 2017, 7:13:10 AM11/21/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Scott,

Answers to your questions follow. As an aside, which company/organization are you with?

1) All information on how SMART apps can be launched within Cerner's EHR, PowerChart, as well as other locations are available at http://fhir.cerner.com/smart/#access-points

2) This is possible today with Cerner's proprietary decision support platform, Discern.

3) This information is available as part of the code developer program. More information is available at https://code.cerner.com/ where you can reach out to the code development program team. As this is a group intended for technical questions and discussions, we leave the business discussions elsewhere.

Thanks,
Kevin (Cerner)