FHIR Upate patient

Rui Wang

Nov 15, 2019, 3:28:51 PM11/15/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi,

I've been researching on Cerner FHIR search and create APIs. http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/dstu2/individuals/patient/#overview

I have a couple questions:

(1) Is there anyway we can add new patient identifiers when a patient has been created using Create API?  Can I call the create API a second time by passing in same demographics, the MRN that has been created on first create call and other new identifiers?
(2) It looks like Cerner millennium provide a search patients by demograhics endpoint, and a create patient endpoint, but Soarian only provide a search by FHIR id API (http://fhir.cerner.com/soarian/dstu2/individuals/patient/)
Do you know if there is any other available APIs in Soarian that allow to search by patient demographics and also create patients?

Thanks,
Rui

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Nov 18, 2019, 9:21:30 AM11/18/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

You can not call the Patient create API to add an MRN number, as the name implies, this would only create a new Patient. If you want to add an identifier I would suggest using the Patient Patch available in our R4 implementation. Please read our documentation here[1]

The functionality listed on fhir.cerner.com is what is provided by the APIs, if it is not listed, it is unfortunately not available. Unfortunately, those who watch this group won't have much knowledge outside of the SMART on FHIR specification.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Rui Wang

Nov 21, 2019, 11:59:18 AM11/21/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks Ben.

We are looking for a way to pass in an identifier that is generated by our system to Cerner using the Create or Patch endpoints.
We have some other integrations with Cerner and Cerner is able to store our identifier as part of their patient ids so they can use our product.  We need to do something similar for FHIR integration. Will you be able to create a unique identifier type for our system in Fhir so Fhir can recognize it ? And eventually we can pass that in to the identifier array via create/patch endpoints and Fhir will store it to the patient?

Thanks,
Rui

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Nov 21, 2019, 1:49:32 PM11/21/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

Similar to how MRNs are configured, the other identifiers, such as a custom identifier for an app, are configured into the client system by the client. You would need to register for an OID and, as you begin to integrate into a clients domain, they would configure your specific identifier into the domain. For our sandbox environment you can use the OIDs we have configured as placeholders. I believe the other thread of yours mentions OIDs you can use.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Rui Wang

Nov 21, 2019, 3:37:52 PM11/21/19
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
I mentioned two oids in the other thread:
urn:oid:1.1.1.1.1.1 and urn:oid:2.2.2.2.2.2

We do need  urn:oid:1.1.1.1.1.1 to match on MRN, can I use  urn:oid:2.2.2.2.2.2 to represent my custom identifier?

Thanks,
Rui

Rui Wang

Nov 21, 2019, 4:26:14 PM11/21/19
to cerner-fhir...@googlegroups.com
And you mentioned register an oid, is this where we can register an oid?
https://www.hl7.org/oid/

Thanks

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Nov 22, 2019, 10:06:23 AM11/22/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Yes you should be able to use that other OID in our sandbox for your "unique" one. And I believe the URL you posted is correct for registering an OID.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)

Rui Wang

Nov 22, 2019, 10:32:25 AM11/22/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks Ben, I will try it out.

I have another question related to the FHIR version.
I saw the documentation have implemented DSTU2 and R4. So we are not sure what version it will be when it comes to a real client so we are thinking to build our app in a way that it can support different FHIR version. We currently have created an app in the sandbox that is targeting DSTU2, do we need to create a new app in the sandbox and choose R4 in order to test R4 APIs? And eventually we need to submit all apps we have created and get Cerner approval before the client can use it?

Thanks,
Rui

Rui Wang

Nov 22, 2019, 12:30:06 PM11/22/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Also, does the R4 implementation has all the functionalities that DSTU2 implementation provides?

Benjamin Eichhorn (Cerner)

Nov 25, 2019, 8:57:20 AM11/25/19
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Hi Rui,

All clients who have the Ignite APIs for Millennium solution with have both DSTU2 and R4 implementations. There is some API functionality (such a patient updates) that is not available in DSTU2 that is available in R4 so if you are looking to make use of those you'll need to consume the R4 version of the spec. We are still working on our implementation of the R4 version of the spec and there are gaps in terms of what we support for DSTU2 versus what is currently support in R4. You can view all of this functionality on fhir.cerner.com.

Thanks,
Ben (Cerner)
This conversation is locked