Participants returned by Encounter Resource

Scott Narus

Oct 18, 2017, 10:49:13 AM10/18/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
I have a question about Cerner's support for the FHIR Encounter Resource and its possible relation to the Care Team List information. I was wondering if the Participants in the Encounter resource include anyone who is attached to a patient through the Care Team List module in Millennium, or if members added to the Care Team List are completely separate from encounter information and therefore would not be included when we query for an Encounter resource.

Andrew Torres

Oct 20, 2017, 10:37:41 AM10/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
There is partial overlap. This depends on the build for the care team workflow component. The workflow component can be built to automatically pull in lifetime PPRs or EPRs. If it is built as such then the CareTeam FHIR resource will also return providers included on the encounter resource if you are querying by encounter.

-Drew

Scott Narus

Oct 20, 2017, 11:02:51 AM10/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks Andrew. This raises another subject that may actually be closer to what I am looking for. I did not realize that there was support for the CareTeam FHIR resource. (It does not show as a supported resource on the fhir.cerner.com site.) If there is, then I would rather use that than the Participants in the Encounter resource. Based on your comment below, can I assume that using the CareTeam resource will return members in the Care Team List for a patient? Would I search by encounter or patient?

Andrew Torres

Oct 20, 2017, 11:22:18 AM10/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
In DSTU2 Careplan is used to represent the care team:
http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/dstu2/care-provision/care-plan/

You can query by patient or encounter for the care team using the care plan resource. When we move to future FHIR version we will support the CareTeam resource. Whether or not to use careplan vs encounter depends on what you are after. Encounter only represents people that have an EPR which is is not the whole care team. The careplan resource may include family members, friends, and other clinical staff.

Thanks,
Drew

Jenni Syed (Cerner)

Oct 20, 2017, 11:54:46 AM10/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Note: you'll need to use a category to query as well, in order to limit the results to a careteam (in the doc that Drew mentioned).

Also, we're actively working on updating the CarePlan doc to call out the CareTeam support more clearly.

~ Jenni

Scott Narus

Oct 20, 2017, 12:33:04 PM10/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
Thanks Drew and Jenni. I did not realize that CareTeam was part of CarePlan in DSTU 2.

Just to clarify, if I use the CareTeam category when querying for the CarePlan, and setting the context to the encounter ID, I should be able to get the members on the Care Team List for the patient, correct? Is this just the name and role, as shown in the response example on the care-plan webpage, or could it also include contact information that you can see on the Care Team List module?

Andrew Torres

Oct 20, 2017, 12:51:13 PM10/20/17
to Cerner FHIR Developers
I should be able to get the members on the Care Team List for the patient, correct? Yes

Is this just the name and role, as shown in the response example on the care-plan webpage, or could it also include contact information that you can see on the Care Team List module?
It depends. Because of how the component works you may get a reference to a a practitioner resource, or get a contained resource. In the example on the documentation you see above the display a relative URL that can be used to retrieve additional practitioner details: http://fhir.cerner.com/millennium/dstu2/individuals/practitioner/

-Drew