Is evaluate function costly? Is it the best way to retrieve the residuals after optimization?

Zheng Dong

Feb 12, 2024, 1:59:18 PMFeb 12
to Ceres Solver
Hi there,

I want to retrieve the residuals after the optimization to identify which residual blocks is the worst. Currently, I am using evaluate function which I can find in the documentations to get the residuals. However, based on its name and description, I guess it evaluates the problem again rather than simply retrieve the calculated residuals. Is evaluate function costly? I believe the residuals have been calculated during the optimization. Is there any other way to retrieve the calculated residuals for the best performance?

Thanks,
Zheng

Sameer Agarwal

Feb 12, 2024, 2:05:49 PMFeb 12
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
No there is no way to get the residuals from the optimization, you have to call Evaluate.
Sameer